Princeton

Young team returns in 2018-2019 with tons of promise. Can they get back to the NCAA Tournament?
Lehigh65

Re: Princeton

Post by Lehigh65 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:03 am

No offense, 90, for the white hair mention. Yeah, I was there and will continue to make the 85 mile trek when able.

As for attendance, I throw my hands up. It's been a problem for years. Do we need another CJ or what? Marketing has heard our cry but still nothing. Here's a brief look at the average attendance for the first two D-1 games at Stabler over the past few years:

2015/2016: 844
2016/ 2017: 1195
2017/2018: 773
2018/20191: 926

Next time you're at Stabler minutes before opening tip, count the number of students behind the basket and compare it to the number of away team visitors already in their seats behind the visiting team bench. Shocking and disheartening. No wonder our kids look forward to going on the road! Monmouth (2,224) and Miami (6,799).

Agree with everyone else that the Good Doctor will be tested this year like, perhaps never before to keep his troops happy and productive - especially the "bigs." A PhD in Instructional Technology may not be enough. And, it's not like we can afford a loss of even one "big.'" The roster shows 4 Forwards and 4 Centers. Take away the "Walk-Ons" of Wolf and Acoveno, and you're down to six. Subtract from that total those sitting, Porter and Lieb, and you have four: Andree, Wilson (J), Karnik and Lynch. Injury of transfer loss of just one would be devastating. I'm thinking Coach Reed finds a way to keep the ship not only afloat but moving forward with both Karnik and Lynch playing productive minutes. I don't care who starts. And, I'm thinking the team doesn't either. Winning is a cure-all and we're getting off on the right foot. Also, I don't think there's much of a market these days for a 2nd year big who is off to a 1 for 7 (.143) start and the subject of referee whistles. I hope/guess is that JK's fortunes will change, beset early by personal foul troubles (not all of his doings...hope never to see the referring crew of Janosik, Butler, and O'Brien again) and some tentative play under the boards when given few minute of playing time. Together with Lynch, I believe the team will move forward, no matter who takes the opening tip. Who knows, maybe we'll see both take the court some evening in a 2-1-2 zone. Nothing is out of the question as we move toward Game 1. Which, by the way, is still 43 days off.

It's off to Siena on Wednesday. Interest fact: Siena, whose players average 6'7" in height, is the 7th tallest team in the nation.

lehigh90

Post by lehigh90 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:11 pm

HC beat Siena today on a neutral court by 12.
Travis23

Post by Travis23 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:14 pm

65. Has the marketing dept really heard our concerns tho. It’s truly sad. It’s emabrassing. I’m there every game. And nothing has changed over the years. Can’t get students out. They should offer buy one get one free tickets for kids. Meal deals. Better giveaways. Better entertainment.
Lehigh65

Post by Lehigh65 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:43 pm

Trav, the concerns have been raised. Perhaps it's again time. Let's meet up at the next game.
Travis23

Post by Travis23 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:04 pm

Just curious is there someone to talk to about ideas for marketing and getting more fans in there. I haven’t seen any improvement and it’s sad.
RichH

Post by RichH » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:08 pm

Travis23 wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:04 pm Just curious is there someone to talk to about ideas for marketing and getting more fans in there. I haven’t seen any improvement and it’s sad.
Trav
Talk to Rich Haas at Lehigh.
LehighBeatDuke

Post by LehighBeatDuke » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:42 pm

I'm a current student and go to the games, but the bus system is absolutely the worst ever and they do an incredibly horrible job at promoting games. Unfortunately, most students are doing work or getting ready to pregame parties during game time and don't seem to care at all. I think this would change some if there was an on campus arena(obviously not ever happening) and if they spread the word more. Would love to see an actual student section.
jimk72

Post by jimk72 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:31 pm

And there you have it. "Bus system absolutely the worst" and "horrible job promoting" on campus.

What happens when it is promoted properly? Anyone who was lucky enough to get a seat and attended the PL championship game against Holy Cross knows what a great atmosphere (4,000 plus near sell out) can be had. Whatever promotion was done for that game, why not for the Lafayette game? At least figure out the busing.
Travis23

Post by Travis23 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:13 pm

Well that’s interesting because I know social
Media on game day puts out the bus schedule with a few rimes. Not sure how that don’t work for most students. I bet if tailgating and alcohol were involved before game more kids would come out. Yea that holy cross game was great. Won’t ever see it again. Thanks. I know rich is involved with marketing but not sure coming from me would mean much to him. The whole idea of a arena on campus would help. But I don’t use that as an excuse.
RichH

Post by RichH » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:29 pm

Rich is a good guy. He'll listen for ideas. Marketing has been an isdue for a while. A number of ideas have been used with limited success. IMO you need a real reason for casual fans to go and make it easy for them to get there and back.