Goodman "Enhancements"

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
StablerBum

Goodman "Enhancements"

Post by StablerBum » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:04 pm

I was browsing the recent Lehigh Athletics Annual Report, and noticed on the list of "capital projects that are envisioned over the course of the current Capital Campaign" included both renovations to Stabler and "enhancements" to Goodman.

I googled Goodman Enhancements and found these architectural drawings from September outlining a remodel of the current press box into suites and hospitality and building a new press box and game day operations on the visiting side. I've heard mention (on this board) of this project before but have never seen drawing. Link below for those interested. No idea how far along this is or what the timeline might be, but interesting to see.

https://www.alloy5.com/portfolio/goodman-stadium/

RichH

Re: Goodman "Enhancements"

Post by RichH » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:30 pm

They are scheduled to be ready next year. Any other dreams will await the next building drive unless a deep pocket alum steps forward.
TMH

Post by TMH » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:42 pm

I don't know if I mentioned this but I was on the focus group when this project was proposed several years ago as part of a "partnership" with current architectural students. The primary purpose is to create a better visual for television. The cameras will now point to the home side (which lately is also a bad visual). The boxes were designed to be quite small at the time. Because of the renovations, Lehigh will be required to put in bathrooms and an elevator on both sides. If given a bucket of money to spend on Goodman Stadium, this project would have a priority in the mid 20s. Just my opinion.
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:45 pm

I am skeptical of how much 'better' this will make Goodman. Yes, the TV cameras will show some people, now, but how are they going to handle the brutal afternoon sun!? I would hate to be sitting in those press boxes squinting into the glare. It gets worse as the season goes on because the angle of the sun is lower. I think the video board would have been more of an 'enhancement'.
Sundayamqb

Post by Sundayamqb » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:45 pm

Why is this "improvement" important? How will it help the athletes, lure more fans or revenue and improve play on the field?

Seems like a waste of money compared with many other things that could have been done.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, StablerBum.
RichH

Post by RichH » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:44 am

TMH wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:42 pm I don't know if I mentioned this but I was on the focus group when this project was proposed several years ago as part of a "partnership" with current architectural students. The primary purpose is to create a better visual for television. The cameras will now point to the home side (which lately is also a bad visual). The boxes were designed to be quite small at the time. Because of the renovations, Lehigh will be required to put in bathrooms and an elevator on both sides. If given a bucket of money to spend on Goodman Stadium, this project would have a priority in the mid 20s. Just my opinion.
Dang. I was told last year that this project was scheduled for 20. Guess it has slid down the priority pole.
TMH

Post by TMH » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:06 am

LOL...no I meant that there would be at least 20 projects I would prefer over this one. I have no idea when this one will take place
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:53 pm

TMH wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:06 am LOL...no I meant that there would be at least 20 projects I would prefer over this one. I have no idea when this one will take place
I heard it would be done in time for next season.
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:40 am

The Alloy5 diagrams have a picture of Goodman set up for pro soccer, although it looks like to preliminary youth games going on. Too bad that pro-soccer won't occur again because no lights.
lfnadmin

Post by lfnadmin » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:40 pm

Richb-3 wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:40 am The Alloy5 diagrams have a picture of Goodman set up for pro soccer, although it looks like to preliminary youth games going on. Too bad that pro-soccer won't occur again because no lights.
This goes back to the point that LU is losing opportunities because Goodman isn't set up as most modern stadiums.