And the Head Coach Clock restarts. Tick-Tock....

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
RichH

Re: And the Head Coach Clock restarts. Tick-Tock....

Post by RichH » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:12 pm

JimLU81 wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:58 pm While I do not know the answer to that question, my guess would be that some coaches will be retained. It would be wise to look at the “Full Time” Coaches. Brisson, Bandy, McGorry, Sutyak, Roberts, and Kashurba. The “Restricted Coaches” Ward, Reisig, Ford, and Cuevas. I want to start this by saying I have 0 knowledge this is just my opinion.

I think 2-3 “full time” coaches stay and 3-4 “full time” coaches are let go... I have heard rumblings of Donnie Roberts being moved to an administrator position as well.

The “restricted coaches” those guys move all the time because they are low paying jobs and essentially stepping stones. I wouldn’t be surprised if a few of them aren’t already gone for better jobs. You can assume Ford and Ward will be retained if they want to be as they are alums.

I absolutely do not think that their will be entire new coaching staff here.. Before we get too out of control I do want to remind people on here that these assistant coaches have families and some of them are going to lose there jobs in a week or so, while it is part of the profession let’s make sure we understand that before we go on a tirade of who should or shouldn’t lose there job.
Pretty much what I concluded. No matter how impatient we get, you are right to remind us that human beings with families are more cincerned about their future and supporting their families.
Imagine all of us, fans and coaches are ready for this to wrap up.

ngineer

Post by ngineer » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:34 pm

Without us 'being in the room' or the meetings in the middle of practice, etc., very tough for us to opine who on the staff should be retained. We get a lot of second and third hand information, and sometimes a lot is slanted based upon the agenda of the person pushing the info. The HC is responsible for the whole shebang so I would think part of the decision is hinging on the prospective HC meeting with the assistant coaches and then determining who 'fits' with his philosophy/way of doing things, etc.
Sundayamqb

Post by Sundayamqb » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:52 pm

This may be sacrilege and I'm sorry to digress again ... but many of you have weighed in and opined the university has other priorities than athletics, etc. -- not enough commitment for lights and other expenses that could allow our teams to compete for national championships. Think Stanford, Duke, Georgetown, Wake Forest in various sports.

Then why leave our athletes and coaches with their hands tied behind their backs.

If we can't compete for NCAA championships in DI except in wrestling, and maybe lacrosse (but there's been no evidence lately that's possible), why not be realistic and at least consider DIII? Our attendance for a DI school seems subpar in most cases, so ... We'd be an elite DIII athletic program, with decent DI facilities. Would that not be a recruiting bonanza?

Put the focus on academics like past national champions Tufts, Brandeis, Wesleyan, Hobart, Middlebury, Amherst, Babson, etc.

I'm not sure what the financial limitations would be if any, but ...
jimk72

Post by jimk72 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:45 am

It is my understanding that ifwe go DIII in football we cannot stay D1 in other sports. That won't happen for a ton of reasons. Reducing to the Pioneer League version of D1 football is possible, but to me that's a last resort if we can't figure out how to be competitive with the CAA & Ivy's.
van

Post by van » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:20 am

must stay D1in football in order to be D1 basketball for sure, not sure about all other sports but F&M is D1 wrestling and not in football, maybe and exception like J Hopkins in LAX
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:51 am

van wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:20 am must stay D1in football in order to be D1 basketball for sure, not sure about all other sports but F&M is D1 wrestling and not in football, maybe and exception like J Hopkins in LAX
F&M and JHU were 'grandfathered' when the NCAA came up with the requirement to be fully 'in' one division. The world has changed since the 'original' PL was formed (nee Colonial) in 1986. What was, then, hoped to be a model for others to follow has become an anachronism of what used to be. PL must make changes to stay relevant at the FCS/DI level. We don't have the alumni support a Duke or Stanford has for athletics. I dare say the endowments are also 'slightly' bigger. We seem to have champagne tastes and a beer wallet. At some point something has to give.
TMH

Post by TMH » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:23 am

Actually here are the rules, I think

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_N ... n_I_sports

It seems to me the path to national championships for a school Lehigh's size is to eliminate football, use those resources for another Olympic sport like lacrosse or wrestling, much like Loyola. I don't think anyone really wants to do that though.
RichH

Post by RichH » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:56 am

TMH wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:23 am Actually here are the rules, I think

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_N ... n_I_sports

It seems to me the path to national championships for a school Lehigh's size is to eliminate football, use those resources for another Olympic sport like lacrosse or wrestling, much like Loyola. I don't think anyone really wants to do that though.
Really wouldnt be any help to lax. It is already fully funded and maxed out on allowable schollies. We are a top 20 borderline top 10 according to preseason prognosticators.
Football is also fully funded on paper. I know there was some talk last year that we were a few short of 60. No idea if accurate.
Using an ROI analysis of athletics, anyone can conclude that all sports should be terminated as unprofitable enterprises. Neither our University nor its athletics were created to be profit making entities. Purpose is education. Athletics are to me an important component of that goal.. Not sure how you measure the risk/ reward of those endeavors but I am sure it is not all dependant on cost.
Under current NCAA by laws we must be D1 in all sports or none. It is on us to do the best we can to succeed in this scenario.
TMH

Post by TMH » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:02 pm

Rich,
The reason that we are even on the cusp in lacrosse is that we have a great young coach and we keep him by fully funding the scholarships. But there are other intangibles that take a program over the top. Have you ever seen the facilities at Loyola or Johns Hopkins? How does our recruiting budget compare to theirs? What is our total coaching budget compared to theirs? Then it becomes simply a matter of reputation and luck.

Keep in mind I'm not recommending any of this. Sometimes I'm amazed that Lehigh is capable of funding 24 sports at all. Temple by contrast only funds 19 sports, 8 of which are men's sports.
RichH

Post by RichH » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:15 pm

Dont disagree TMH. Lax makes my point. We are who we are and yet we can succeed in lax and wrestling et al. Can Lehigh do it every year at that level. Not likely. To me, it just makes the success all the sweeter.
Football has a more difficult task given its schollie and roster caps. A much narrower and steeper path to succesd. I alaays hope PL will evdntually modify its restrictions. Until then we still have to work to be as good as we can be. There will be times when we get it right and times we dont.Last 5 years frustrating as we came so close but never got there having failed to fix the D. Hope new HC can put it all together.