CJ - unreal

Young team returns in 2018-2019 with tons of promise. Can they get back to the NCAA Tournament?
lehigh90

CJ - unreal

Post by lehigh90 » Sun May 12, 2019 10:28 pm

37 in Game 7 leading his team to Western Conference Finals.

Guy is a beast in big games.

mookie

Re: CJ - unreal

Post by mookie » Mon May 13, 2019 9:21 am

Best Lehigh athlete ever.
jimk72

Post by jimk72 » Mon May 13, 2019 1:14 pm

I was in school 1968 - 1972. Some oldsters might argue for Mike Caruso or John Hill. I'm an oldster here to tell you those oldsters would be wrong. Mike & John were great. C.J. has reached even greater height in his sport.

Disclaimer: I don't know much about pre-1950, so let's say he's the best in the modern era. We won national lacrosse championships in the late 1800's......
TMH

Post by TMH » Mon May 13, 2019 4:01 pm

I may be playing devil's advocate or perhaps I'm just in a minority of 1 but I'm not sure that CJ was the best basketball player in Lehigh history although he certainly made the most of his post-graduate opportunities.

I watched a lot of Lehigh basketball both in the late '80s and also during the CJ era. Darrell Queenan IMHO was a "freak" athlete who could leap out of buildings. He still hold's Lehigh's scoring record by 500 points and even though CJ missed a good part of his senior season, DQ only played in 7 more games. Keep in mind that the 3 pt shot was not adopted by the NCAA until DQ's his junior year. DQ also had 1,000 rebounds in his career.

The difference between DQ and CJ is that the latter spent his entire career developing guard skills so at 6-3 he was never out of position. At 6-5, DQ was forced to play center in HS and FW at Lehigh. He had phenominal big man skills in a guard's body.

Just a thought.
jimk72

Post by jimk72 » Mon May 13, 2019 6:34 pm

Thank you for mentioning DQ. I should have. Because of his size he never received this kind of national attention. Plus the NBA was a whole different kind of game then. You can certainly make an argument for Queenan. Mike Polaha was no slouch either. Fran McCaffery has commented that Mike was a legitimate NBA guard until he blew out his knee. The two together gave Lehigh it's first success ever in basketball.

Despite their talents, they never won an NCAA game, though they gave Temple a run in '88. To me the Duke game and the NBA success tip it to C.J. But all three deserve their position on the wall at Stabler. Great memories of all three.
mookie

Post by mookie » Mon May 13, 2019 7:29 pm

John Hill is a good mention. Great football player and really good track athlete. Mike Caruso was a great wrestler but not a great athlete...if that makes sense.
Sundayamqb

Post by Sundayamqb » Mon May 13, 2019 10:46 pm

The fun fact about Queenan and Polaha is both were recruited successfully by a coach who never got to coach them: Brian Hill.