FCS Playoffs

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
Go Lehigh TU Owl

FCS Playoffs

Post by Go Lehigh TU Owl » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:28 pm

Monmouth easily took care of Holy Cross today 44-27 in the first round of the playoffs. The Monmouth offense racked up over 500 yards of total offense despite their star QB Bahar playing on basically one leg (pulled hammy in the first half). Guerriero had his way with the Cross defense to the tune of 220 yards and 3 TDs. Holy Cross was outclassed which wasn't much of a surprise imo. Someone from the PL had to go to the playoffs and lose. The Crusaders earned that right.

Holy Cross might have found their QB of the for next year in Considine. Chesney pulled Degenhardt early after struggling mightily in the first quarter. The Crusader offense looked pretty good with Considine under center. He appears to be far more accurate then Degenhart. I can't believe Chesney waited until the playoffs to give Considine a legit shot. He got in against Fordham but he didn't finish the game. The loss of Cozier and Mountain will be huge on offense. Asante's a solid WR and they have some decent skill guys but nothing that stands out. Defensively they lose their two stud safeties iirc and some other key guys.

Chesney's the best coach in the league by a mile so as long as he's on Mount Saint James the Cross will be one of the favorites. I don't see how anyone can say the Crusaders did not upgrade their program by moving from Gilmore to Chesney. I'll hedge my bets and say Colgate will be right there as well next year.

Also of note, NEC's 11-1 CCSU got destroyed by Albany 42-14. The NEC still continues to struggle to gain traction nationally with their scholarship limitations.

The new non-schollie darling San Diego lost a hard fought game to UNI 17-3. They had the ball close to midfield down 10-3 with about 2 minutes left but a near pick 6 sealed their fate. The Toreros have kind of become what Lehigh and Colgate were 10-20 years ago.

'Nova suffered a heartbreaking loss to SELA 45-44. A blocked XP and questionable offensive PI on a TD doomed the cats.

ngineer

Re: FCS Playoffs

Post by ngineer » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:32 pm

Wow, 'nova was up by a lot at one point. I think the PL teams would be doing better if they had remained with the need-based grant in aid model. Deeper lineups.
Sundayamqb

Post by Sundayamqb » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:03 am

ngineer wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:32 pm Wow, 'nova was up by a lot at one point. I think the PL teams would be doing better if they had remained with the need-based grant in aid model. Deeper lineups.
+1
HFO

Post by HFO » Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:48 am

If Lehigh faced MVC schools like NDSU, Illinois State, SDSU, Northern Iowa, I think each of them would put 100 points up. Lehigh has so much to do in realm of organizational culture with Gilmore as Head Coach that either he will be fired or somehow he finds athletes whom he can manage with his tactics and system.

If there are 0 "2 star", Lehigh will be on a sinking ship. Just not seeing any interest in Lehigh of quality guys on Rivals or Scout.
RichH

Post by RichH » Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:30 pm

Do agree that Lehigh right now is absolutely noncompetitive with MVFC teams. Also agree that this recruiting class is crucial for talent and bodies. We took a pretty big hit on the 2 transfers amping the pressure even higher.
I would not put much credence in star ratings particularly those under 3*s. They change quite often based upon types of new offers and even more so upon verbals. Mayes was a 4* until he signed with us. Went to 2. Shafniski never had any stars. Nor did Pelletier or Casey. A few years back we signed 2 QBs. They went from 0 to 2*.
We have a solid group of verbals with a few top level recruits. The next 10 days will mostly tell the tale for talent. The next round will be for bodies.
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:22 am

I wonder how many stars Andre Reed would have had in HS?
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:41 pm

I love how the whole system has bought into the *** system. Comparing kids between Maine, Missouri and California. Everyone needs some kid of "metric" to justify their decisions, whether the metric is properly calibrated or not. Can't put too much faith in simple raw numbers conjured up by people who may have various motives.
Sundayamqb

Post by Sundayamqb » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:36 pm

ngineer wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:41 pm I love how the whole system has bought into the *** system. Comparing kids between Maine, Missouri and California. Everyone needs some kid of "metric" to justify their decisions, whether the metric is properly calibrated or not. Can't put too much faith in simple raw numbers conjured up by people who may have various motives.
+1

And the real question should be: BFD, you're a X-star recruit at XXX: How is your coach going to help you develop? What effort are you going to put into it?
datruph

Post by datruph » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:17 am

The star system is just for the average "JOE" fan to have something to brag about at the water-cooler at work. Not one coach worth his salt relies on the star system. I have seen a kid go to a recruiting camp as an already labeled one star and one of his coaches are helping with the camp and he comes out a 4 star. If you know the guys who run these camps you can get whatever star you want. This is where talent eval's are crucial. These coaches cannot view every kid so they have to rely on trusted scouts. That being said, I can go on and on of how many no star and 1 star players are in the NFL. IT's really a joke. You cannot measure a kids heart or determination on film. You cannot know if hes a great program guy or grinder. These players are gold and hard to find.
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:14 pm

datruph wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:17 am The star system is just for the average "JOE" fan to have something to brag about at the water-cooler at work. Not one coach worth his salt relies on the star system. I have seen a kid go to a recruiting camp as an already labeled one star and one of his coaches are helping with the camp and he comes out a 4 star. If you know the guys who run these camps you can get whatever star you want. This is where talent eval's are crucial. These coaches cannot view every kid so they have to rely on trusted scouts. That being said, I can go on and on of how many no star and 1 star players are in the NFL. IT's really a joke. You cannot measure a kids heart or determination on film. You cannot know if hes a great program guy or grinder. These players are gold and hard to find.
Agree wholeheartedly. I've heard stories of stars being bought for $xxxx. Don't know how true, but in this day of som many having an 'agent', I wouldn't be surprised at anything.