D1 football in the fall?

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
LU808
Posts: 208
Joined: Thu May 10, 2018 4:44 pm
Location: Kailua Kona, Hawaii
Contact:

D1 football in the fall?

Post by LU808 » Thu May 21, 2020 1:33 pm

The NCAA Division I Council voted Wednesday to lift a moratorium on voluntary workouts by football and basketball players effective June 1 as a growing number of college leaders expressed confidence that fall sports will be possible in some form despite concerns about the coronavirus pandemic.

The decision was confirmed by two people with direct knowledge of the vote who spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because the NCAA had not announced details. A decision on other sports was pending.

One of the people who spoke to the AP said the decision clears the way for individual workouts by athletes, mostly on their own, subject to safety and health protocols decided by their schools or local health officials..Most athletic departments need the revenue generated from football to fund their other sports.

Hundreds of schools are reeling financially from the effects of the pandemic. Athletic departments, particularly at smaller schools and in Division II, have already cut a number of sports.

The NCAA this week lowered the minimum and maximum number of games Division II schools are required to play in all sports next year. The move includes a 33% reduction in the minimum number of games needed for sponsorship and championship qualification in most sports.


ngineer
Posts: 575
Joined: Sat May 26, 2018 10:54 pm
Contact:

Re: D1 football in the fall?

Post by ngineer » Thu May 21, 2020 10:23 pm

I could see the post-season playoffs in jeopardy. With the expected "second wave" and flu season, we might have to be happy with just a league champion in each conference and let it at that.
Richb-3
Posts: 444
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:40 am
Contact:

Re: D1 football in the fall?

Post by Richb-3 » Thu May 28, 2020 6:54 pm

Quick thought, wemay need to do something like this

7 week schedule, Oct 10, to Nov 21, ending with lafayette.

the other 6 PL teams, plus Invite Marist to be a temporary, honorary member. I assume they pretty much fly everywhere and need to save money.

Maybe everyone start with an Ivy, an 8th game
User avatar
van
Posts: 607
Joined: Mon May 07, 2018 1:49 pm
Location: KY
Contact:

Re: D1 football in the fall?

Post by van » Thu May 28, 2020 7:12 pm

would not surprise me if Ivies cancel even if NCAA give thumbs up
User avatar
RichH
Posts: 2431
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:53 pm
Contact:

Re: D1 football in the fall?

Post by RichH » Fri May 29, 2020 8:50 am

Some optimistic news. Moravian announced that it is opening the campus for students.with precautions in place.
LU808
Posts: 208
Joined: Thu May 10, 2018 4:44 pm
Location: Kailua Kona, Hawaii
Contact:

Re: D1 football in the fall?

Post by LU808 » Fri May 29, 2020 3:13 pm

RichH wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 8:50 am
Some optimistic news. Moravian announced that it is opening the campus for students.with precautions in place.
Come on Lehigh....we're at LEAST as good as Moravian!

;)
User avatar
RichH
Posts: 2431
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:53 pm
Contact:

Re: D1 football in the fall?

Post by RichH » Fri May 29, 2020 5:37 pm

LU808 wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 3:13 pm
RichH wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 8:50 am
Some optimistic news. Moravian announced that it is opening the campus for students.with precautions in place.
Come on Lehigh....we're at LEAST as good as Moravian!

;)

:lol: :D Certainly hope so.
JohnNarolli
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat May 30, 2020 10:08 am
Contact:

Re: D1 football in the fall?

Post by JohnNarolli » Sat May 30, 2020 10:15 am

I m new here, but came to see if you all think we will have a season. By any stretch, I think we’ll follow the tide of the bigger schools. Start school either a tad early (August 9/10, instead of 20), cancel the 3-4 day fall break in October and then dismiss students home the week before graduation and keep them there until January or longer. They can finish their classes and exams online. This would definitely jeopardize basketball season and other winter sports, but could allow for a football season.
From a day-to-day standpoint, I’ve heard rumors of testing every student, faculty, etc. prior to the first day of school, giving every person a washable mask to use in every class, hall, cafeteria, etc. Limiting classes to 10-15, all bigger classes meet online. I don’t know what this means for sports but it’s scary!
We have to remember we’re dealing with a university that has thousands of students that are not athletes. We’re also not a school or league that lives, breathes, and dies sports. I think President Simon and his task forces will take that into deep consideration when making the decision.
LU808
Posts: 208
Joined: Thu May 10, 2018 4:44 pm
Location: Kailua Kona, Hawaii
Contact:

Re: D1 football in the fall?

Post by LU808 » Sat May 30, 2020 1:25 pm

JohnNarolli wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 10:15 am
I m new here, but came to see if you all think we will have a season. By any stretch, I think we’ll follow the tide of the bigger schools. Start school either a tad early (August 9/10, instead of 20), cancel the 3-4 day fall break in October and then dismiss students home the week before graduation and keep them there until January or longer. They can finish their classes and exams online. This would definitely jeopardize basketball season and other winter sports, but could allow for a football season.
From a day-to-day standpoint, I’ve heard rumors of testing every student, faculty, etc. prior to the first day of school, giving every person a washable mask to use in every class, hall, cafeteria, etc. Limiting classes to 10-15, all bigger classes meet online. I don’t know what this means for sports but it’s scary!
We have to remember we’re dealing with a university that has thousands of students that are not athletes. We’re also not a school or league that lives, breathes, and dies sports. I think President Simon and his task forces will take that into deep consideration when making the decision.

We're also a School that took COVID relief funds meant to keep small businesses alive.....while sitting on a $1B + endowment...shameful.
TMH
Posts: 687
Joined: Mon May 07, 2018 2:35 pm
Contact:

Re: D1 football in the fall?

Post by TMH » Sat May 30, 2020 4:49 pm

Hello John and welcome to the discussion board. I have been unable to get even a hint to what direction Lehigh will choose next year. June 15 continues to be the day when a decision will be reached. Of course much of what we do will be dictated by the direction this virus takes and mandates for the varying governmental agencies including the NCAA and Patriot League. As for the winter sports, I'm hoping they become a one semester sport this year (January-April) and that a vaccine is found and available for mass distribution by then. I think that will ease a lot of people's mind.

LU808,

I'm not quite sure what you find shameful. Perhaps you may not be aware that funds were carved fro the CARES Act specifically for colleges. It's called the Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund and it's not in competition with small businesses. Lehigh applied for funding and received $1.8M of which they pledged not less than half to underwrite tuition for students who were financially affected by the COVID virus. I don't think it's a secret that colleges will be hit as hard as anyone when having to deal with all the implications the virus brings with it. I would have been very disappointed if Lehigh had not applied for these funds.
Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests