Villanova

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
Go Lehigh TU Owl

Re: Villanova

Post by Go Lehigh TU Owl » Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:09 pm

lfnadmin wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:06 pm My recap of the game:

https://www.college-sports-journal.com/ ... ome-45-17/

In front of 6,101 enthusiastic fans, many of them students, the No. 5 ranked Villanova Wildcats did what was expected of them, running out to a big lead en route to a 45-17 victory.
“I’m actually angry right now,” Gilmore told me after the game, after a longer than usual postgame meeting, “because I think we could have and should have played better than we did. I think that was a rude awakening against a good football team.”

That quote says it all. His emotional response is anger/frustration (likely directed towards his assistants) rather than measured, calculated processes that facilitate actual improvement and confidence.

This guy is a poor man's Bo Pelini....

mookie

Post by mookie » Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:51 am

President Helble's highest priority is a winning football team. Lose to Georgetown and Gilmore is history.
LUEngineer

Post by LUEngineer » Mon Sep 05, 2022 3:19 pm

I would seriously doubt Mookie claim that Heible highest priority is football. However, clearly Sterrett highest priority is football & a loss to Georgetown would be a crushing blow to him.

Would love to see Lehigh step to pay enough to bring back former head coach currently Asst at Wake Forrest to restore Lehigh to FCS competitive level & the assume Sterrett AD role after Sterrett retires. Currently drawing a blank in his name but great man who came to Andy’s fundraiser?
RichH

Post by RichH » Mon Sep 05, 2022 3:46 pm

Kevin Higgins.one of the best ever at Lehigh. He could be a great AD. Joe has done a fantastic job with the entire program. We have been lucky to have had great football for most years since the 70s. I don't think the last 5 years should outbalance the rest. In hindsight. Joe should have retired Andy a few years earlier. At the outset no one knew what was happening. Hiring Gilmore? Joe said he wanted a more defensive HC. 3rd year of rebuild the team is showing some life. We'll see how it plays out.
mookie

Post by mookie » Mon Sep 05, 2022 7:05 pm

Helble is a football junkie. Participates in multiple fantasy leagues and at one time was a promising running back recruited by multiple big-time schools. He expects to win!
Sundayamqb

Post by Sundayamqb » Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:40 pm

RichH wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 3:46 pm Kevin Higgins.one of the best ever at Lehigh. He could be a great AD.
Higgins probably would be a great AD, but at 66, I don't think that's in the cards. It would be neat to see him come back and revamp this football program if Gilmore & Co. cannot turn it around this year (if it is even salvageable given the investments nationally elsewhere in FCS programs).

Would Dave Clawson, 55, Wake Forest's head coach and a Lehigh assistant 1993-95, want to come to Lehigh as AD? Seems like he has a lucrative future in football coaching, but who knows.

I still this it's too early to tell about this year's football team. They should be able to compete well in the PL. Outside of that? I'm not optimistic. Hopefully they learn from mistakes.

One thing's for sure: This should be the make or break year for Gilmore in the PL.
RichH

Post by RichH » Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:31 pm

Sundayamqb wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:40 pm
RichH wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 3:46 pm Kevin Higgins.one of the best ever at Lehigh. He could be a great AD.
Higgins probably would be a great AD, but at 66, I don't think that's in the cards. It would be neat to see him come back and revamp this football program if Gilmore & Co. cannot turn it around this year (if it is even salvageable given the investments nationally elsewhere in FCS programs).

Would Dave Clawson, 55, Wake Forest's head coach and a Lehigh assistant 1993-95, want to come to Lehigh as AD? Seems like he has a lucrative future in football coaching, but who knows.

I still this it's too early to tell about this year's football team. They should be able to compete well in the PL. Outside of that? I'm not optimistic. Hopefully they learn from mistakes.

One thing's for sure: This should be the make or break year for Gilmore in the PL.
Yeah we're all getting older. :lol:
Hoyas should be prep game for UR to sort out mistakes and get more PT for the units.. We cannot afford the luxury of a sloppy W over a weak team.
Go Lehigh TU Owl

Post by Go Lehigh TU Owl » Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:24 am

RichH wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:31 pm

Hoyas should be prep game for UR to sort out mistakes and get more PT for the units.. We cannot afford the luxury of a sloppy W over a weak team.
Are you confident that Lehigh will even be a betting favorite against Georgetown? Given the current state of Lehigh football I find it extremely presumptive to assume the Mountain Hawks will be favored on the road against the Hoyas regardless of what history says. Just browsing some various opinions, several who are well respected, it seems pretty split between Lehigh and Georgetown right now. That perception of reality is extremely troubling imo....
RichH

Post by RichH » Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:40 pm

Go Lehigh TU Owl wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:24 am

Are you confident that Lehigh will even be a betting favorite against Georgetown? Given the current state of Lehigh football I find it extremely presumptive to assume the Mountain Hawks will be favored on the road against the Hoyas regardless of what history says. Just browsing some various opinions, several who are well respected, it seems pretty split between Lehigh and Georgetown right now. That perception of reality is extremely troubling imo....
What we should be is not yet who we are. Not really sure of who we are yet. Rewatched Nova. More positives the negatives but the latter determined the outcome. Repeated penalties on O stalling drives. Missed assignments on D and repeating the same mistakes leading to most of Nova's big plays.smh
If we play up closer to Nava's level. the edge in game speed should be major. If we play down to the competition,the game could be a toss up.
LUFAN

Post by LUFAN » Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:10 pm

RichH wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:40 pm
Go Lehigh TU Owl wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:24 am

What we should be is not yet who we are. Not really sure of who we are yet. Rewatched Nova. More positives the negatives but the latter determined the outcome. Repeated penalties on O stalling drives. Missed assignments on D and repeating the same mistakes leading to most of Nova's big plays.smh
If we play up closer to Nava's level. the edge in game speed should be major. If we play down to the competition,the game could be a toss up.
Rich H...all the things you point out as weaknesses circle back to coaching, not talent. Lehigh has been making these same types of mistakes for 3 years but in the past they were explained away as "youth". It is not youth, it is poor coaching from the top down. These kids deserve better. Very simple.