Holy Cross

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
DF2002

Re: Holy Cross

Post by DF2002 » Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:46 pm

lu90 wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:44 pm
Mountain Hawk wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 5:19 pm
drd5748 wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 4:04 pm No fan is going to know the answer; a tiny few have influence and they're likely spending time online like this, although John Harmon '58 (football/wrestling donor) use to have it, he was the least likely to intervene.

Leave it to the anonymous onliners to talk the loudest, but no guarantees of anything with fund shortage to attract the right replacement. Want change? Dig into your pensions or portfolios.
Always the solution for the academics - send more money.

How about doing the proper job with the money that has been allocated. The argument around here is that Lehigh is failing in this area - and badly. Send more money into the black hole of higher education? Hard pass.
I agree with the hard pass as well. No one is expecting a statement that says "Hey, we screwed up. We made a bad decision and now need alumni contributions to fix our mess". But any response whatsoever, to the many that have voiced their displeasure with the current state of the program, would probably be viewed favorably. But as previously noted, there has been nothing but crickets.

But let's explore that theory further. A name that has been thrown around in a potential coaching wish list previously is Nate Milne from Muhlenberg. I am somewhat certain a lot of fans here would be ecstatic with that hire. Zero clue if there is any interest from either side and not saying it would even be explored. But hypothetically lets say both sides did have interest. Are we to assume from your(drd) comments that absent that supposed coaching search slush fund from alumni, D1 Lehigh with their D1 budget is so strapped that it cannot compete with an offer attractive enough that it would entice a D3 coach to move up the coaching career ladder to D1? If that is the case, then this university under the current administration and leadership, would be the absolute last place I would feel confident that my contribution would be used wisely.

Although just saying, if a hypothetical GoFundMe page was setup with the sole purpose of helping fund a new football coach, you might be extremely surprised how much money would be contributed if it was certain to be used for exactly that said cause.

Regardless of who the next coach is and when he is hired, it is VERY hard to argue that the Gilmore Era is anything but a complete and utter failure!

Not sure you’re entitled to such an opinion as you’ve expressed anonymously online and probably haven’t contributed enough to earn the right to an opinion about this.

(Of course I’m being sarcastic… DRD however is entirely serious in those assertions).

Local82

Post by Local82 » Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:08 pm

Milne has had a great run in Allentown. I’ve seen his teams play a couple games.
A drawback is, maybe I’m wrong, I think he has no FBS/FCS experience.
He puts great kids on the field but the difference in speed and size is big.
Plus recruiting is entirely different and there is a much bigger program to manage.
But hey, sometimes these things work.
lu90

Post by lu90 » Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:43 pm

Local82 wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:08 pm Milne has had a great run in Allentown. I’ve seen his teams play a couple games.
Plus recruiting is entirely different and there is a much bigger program to manage.
Could it go worse?
Sundayamqb

Post by Sundayamqb » Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:05 pm

lu90 wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:43 pm
Local82 wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:08 pm Milne has had a great run in Allentown. I’ve seen his teams play a couple games.
Could it go worse?
Milne is 5-4 this year -- c'mon.

The question is whether we're serious about competing at the DI level in any sport other than wrestling.

With the NIL rearing its expensive head, are you willing to invest in players who can get $$ at Jax State, UND, Montana State, you name it?

I've seen little evidence we are serious about competing nationally in DI other than in wrestling, maybe.

If we're not -- and PL is just our goal, why not say so? And find a football coach who can compete for the PL title?
DF2002

Post by DF2002 » Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:16 pm

Sundayamqb wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:05 pm

Could it go worse?

The question is whether we're serious about competing at the DI level in any sport other than wrestling.

With the NIL rearing its expensive head, are you willing to invest in players who can get $$ at Jax State, UND, Montana State, you name it?

I've seen little evidence we are serious about competing nationally in DI other than in wrestling, maybe.

If we're not -- and PL is just our goal, why not say so? And find a football coach who can compete for the PL title?
Competing for a national title just isn’t in the cards for us. Even during our best years, we make it to the playoffs and maybe win the first game. I don’t see that changing with PL restrictions.

But to your point, it’s not the end of the world. If we’re competitive in the PL and even beat the eventual winner of the Ivy League, that would be a great season.
lu90

Post by lu90 » Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:28 pm

Sundayamqb wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:05 pm
Could it go worse?

So that makes him 40-9 since he was hired. Compared to Gilmore 8-24. We are 4 years deep with Gilmore and this year we have a 1 pt win over Georgetown and a loss to Bucknell...I think I'll take my chances.

Again, his name was a hypothetical. At this point, I'll take my kids flag football coach from back in the day.
HFO

Post by HFO » Sat Nov 05, 2022 11:40 pm

DF2002 wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 3:38 pm
Go Lehigh TU Owl wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 3:10 pm Holy Cross 42 Lehigh 14 Final

2 more games left in the Gilmore Era? Right?!?!
You have far too much confidence in Joe Sterrett. It gives me no pleasure to at that.
Given the idiotic things the Lehigh administration has been doing for past 6 years, Gimore might be given a contract extension. I too have no faith in the Lehigh administration or the AD. The writing is on the wall that the university is on the wrong track. Pissing off the collective alumni is not a winning proposition for a university President and AD.
HFO

Post by HFO » Sat Nov 05, 2022 11:43 pm

drd5748 wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 4:06 pm >>>#239 Lehigh v. #137 Holy Cross
Holy Cross about 26 point favorite. I suspect they will have 26 points by end of 1st Quarter. HFO

.... So did you put your money where your mouth was, HFO?
Yes..Holy Cross won by +28. I am 94 years old and have money to throw around, but none at LEHIGH in current state.
jimk72

Post by jimk72 » Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:30 am

I submit that we can, and have been, competitive in basketball in our league, and as a middle of the pack mid major. Coach Reed and staff consistently recruit well. We may not get a C.J. very often, but we are usually decent at worst. So why can't we hire a better football coach? Holy Cross and Fordham somehow figured it out under Patriot league rules.
StablerBum

Post by StablerBum » Sun Nov 06, 2022 10:14 am

jimk72 wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:30 am I submit that we can, and have been, competitive in basketball in our league, and as a middle of the pack mid major. Coach Reed and staff consistently recruit well. We may not get a C.J. very often, but we are usually decent at worst. So why can't we hire a better football coach? Holy Cross and Fordham somehow figured it out under Patriot league rules.
Hoops has certainly been more competitive than football recently, but not exactly challenging for championships. Reed has one regular season championship in 15 years and hasn't been to the big dance in the last 11 seasons. All his success has come with a once in a generation future NBA star. I would call Lehigh middle of the pack in PL hoops. Maybe that is the goal for all sports though.