LU 17-7 over Holy Cross

Can Lehigh get back to the NCAA postseason?
RichH

LU 17-7 over Holy Cross

Post by RichH » Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:59 am

Dominant W. Mule with 5 goals and an assist.but the takeaway for me is the team cohesion on everyblevel. We are going to need that with Army next up this week.

TMH

Re: LU 17-7 over Holy Cross

Post by TMH » Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:18 am

Army is truly the class of the PL this year so far. We always knew they have a really good defensive but they lead the PL in most offensive categories now too.

Army has a win over #14 Syracuse and a close loss to #6 Rutgers. Key may be at F/O but even there Army has won more than 50% of the time. We need to get better at slot selection. We shoot an awful lot but are second last in the PL in converting those shots.

But then again, the game is played on the field and anything can happen. I would have loved to see this game being at home though.
grad81

Re: LU 17-7 over Holy Cross

Post by grad81 » Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:12 am

Army will be the true test followed by a really tough game against Georgetown. Army's defense is really good, however, the interesting thing is that Marcus Hudgins, the PL preseason defensive player of the year and I believe first team preseason All American, has not played a game so far this season. Not sure if he is injured or what the reason is. Without him, their defense is good but not nearly as good. I watched their games against both Holy Cross and Lafayette and they gave up a lot of wide open scoring opportunities. Lehigh's defensive effort against Holy Cross (except for the 2Q) was much better than Army's. Hudgins shut down Schelling last year. Kirst had a big game that led to the 1 goal win. It will be interesting to see if Hudgins plays and if so, who he will match up against. The key will be dominating at the x. That is Army's one weakness. If Mikey can do his thing and Lehigh limits unforced turnovers, especially in the clearing game, and moves the ball around like they did last weekend, the game is certainly winnable. On the other side, the defense will need to keep Nichtern from having a big day. Last year, he went off in the first half with I think 4 goals. After that, they switched from Tangredi to Leggett and he was a non-factor in the second half. They need Teddy to do that again.

I give this team a ton of credit. They lost a lot offensively due to injuries but others have stepped up to fill the void and the offense is looking better each week. If not for a poor performance against Hobart, this team would still be ranked. They only allowed 9 goals to a very good Cornell team who is currently ranked #4 in the nation. The next two games will give us a really good idea of how good the Hawks are or can be.