OTHER TEAMS

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
1/2NELSON

OTHER TEAMS

Post by 1/2NELSON » Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:19 pm

might be the appropriate moniker/category for any observation that is not LEHIGH specific, just a thought. :) Although we are basically LEHIGH specific with our comments, analysis, etc.,.. it's also very entertaining/informative to take note what is happening nation-wide on the mat with OTHER programs per rankings, upsets, transfers, etc. Recent posting of Pitt-Columbia results raised a few EYE-BROWS if for no other reason than the close score with a Pitt team that beat us worse! :o They are EIWA relative, on our schedule,.. and building a reputable program!

I've taken the liberty to post a pretty exciting match when the Gophers took it to the Cowboys a few days ago. It had been awhile since they beat Oklahoma State, and they do-it on this night in the hostile confines of Gallaghar-Iba Arena! Minnesota is known for their strong "rugged" lookin' kids, and assembly-line production of Heavy-weights.,..as Konrad, Brock Lesnar, and Gable Steveson BEAR testament.:lol: And Golden-Gopher Damion Hahn, who I've always considered one of the TWO best technical wrestlers to ever come out of NJ, Mike Frick being the other,.. had a most memorable FINALS bout with our own Jon Trenge if you recall. :cry:

Good viewing on a cold-winter's- night! Gotta love that COWBOY mascot.. :roll:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YxvNnGEprI
Last edited by 1/2NELSON on Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

FloridaGuy

Re: OTHER TEAMS

Post by FloridaGuy » Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:51 pm

>>>>>>>>>>>Thanks for the Minn match link.

I watched Hahn a number of times in hs, and also saw him beat Trenge at the NCAAs when 10 seconds of stalling/dancing by Jon would have won him an NCAA title.

Lastly, Columbia is moving in the right direction, but the Pitt-Col score is misleading. There was a 9 point swing when Pitt forfeited 141 where Matthews would have been the solid favorite.
legger

Post by legger » Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:30 am

FloridaGuy wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:51 pm >>>>>>>>>>>Thanks for the Minn match link.

I watched Hahn a number of times in hs, and also saw him beat Trenge at the NCAAs when 10 seconds of stalling/dancing by Jon would have won him an NCAA title.

Lastly, Columbia is moving in the right direction, but the Pitt-Col score is misleading. There was a 9 point swing when Pitt forfeited 141 where Matthews would have been the solid favorite.
**** I recall Jon's response to why he didn't just stall was: "It is just not in the nature of the beast".
1/2NELSON

Post by 1/2NELSON » Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:04 am

No matter how many times I REPLAY this bout,.. nothing changes! :cry:

Had mixed emotions watching this, as I had followed Hahn's legendary exploits on-the-mat in NJ., and Jon's run thru his state tournament a couple times. Was always impressed with Damion's technical acumen as opposed to Trenge strength, and upper-body prowess. :o

IMO all Jon had to do in the closing seconds is jump ON-THE-BIKE, and pedal, and he would've been an NCAA CHAMP forever,.. but that was not his MO, and it cost him! Have to rank him, along with Caruso team-mate Joe Peritore, as two of the best Lehigh grapplers to never win a title.:x

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nyawFdu0fM
mookie

Post by mookie » Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:57 am

Feel better Captain Obvious? This dead horse has been beaten thousands of times over the course of two decades.

It will always be raw so choose another topic.
D3 for LU

Post by D3 for LU » Tue Dec 13, 2022 1:14 pm

Imho... you also add this wrestler who never one a title for LEHIGH.

3X NCAA 3rd placer, 4X EIWA champ.

... yep, you guessed right.
Colin Kilrain. 8-)
D3
Sir, a pint of you finest ale, please!
Never argue with an idiot... he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.
JAD77

Post by JAD77 » Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:10 pm

mookie wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:57 am Feel better Captain Obvious? This dead horse has been beaten thousands of times over the course of two decades.

It will always be raw so choose another topic.
Come on man - that was unnecessarily brutal.

The Mookster never one for subtlety :lol:
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:28 pm

Jon should have stopped the bout to clean his goggles. His vision was likely like his contacts were reversed.

Mike Brown 4 time EIWA champ, 4 time NCAA placer. Defeated 3-5 NCAA champs, like Kilrain.

Note I see Smerconish made a big deal about the Army Navy Game. I suspect he Never Saw Admiral Kilrain wrestle (nor Bobby Weaver, Burley, Diekel, Yozzo, nor any other wrestler.
HFO

Post by HFO » Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:39 am

Richb-3 wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:28 pm Jon should have stopped the bout to clean his goggles. His vision was likely like his contacts were reversed.

Mike Brown 4 time EIWA champ, 4 time NCAA placer. Defeated 3-5 NCAA champs, like Kilrain.

Note I see Smerconish made a big deal about the Army Navy Game. I suspect he Never Saw Admiral Kilrain wrestle (nor Bobby Weaver, Burley, Diekel, Yozzo, nor any other wrestler.
Brown became quite a good pharmacist. He could score backpoints.

3 losses in each season. 12 career losses. 7 of 12 losses by 2 points or less.
Freshman year. NCAA 5th 1 loss going into NCAA. Avenged one of his losses at NCAA. 2 of 3 losses were by 1 point.
Sophomore year. NCAA 3rd 2 losses going into NCAA. 3 of 3 losses were by 1 point.
Junior year. NCAA 2nd 2 losses going into NCAA. 1 was at Unlimited. Got thumped by Wais in NCAA Final
Senior year. NCAA 7th 1 loss going into NCAA. Believe he had a number of injuries his senior year. Ended his career with his last win over Allentown Dieruff's Joe Atiyeh (LSU), later 1984 Olympic Silver Medalist for Syria.