Gaige Garcia

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
mookie

Re: Gaige Garcia

Post by mookie » Mon Feb 20, 2023 5:33 pm

This story doesn’t hang together.

Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Mon Feb 20, 2023 5:53 pm

I remember watching a football game a decade or so ago, wherein the home team had all state wrestling finalists on the DL.

Ironically, it was Syracuse.

I also remember Bobby Bowden recruiting several nationally ranked HS football players who were also nationally ranked HS wrestlers. He would tell them Florida State was going to stary wrestling, "next year". how many do you think FSU will qualify for nationals this year?
Lehigh74

Post by Lehigh74 » Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:49 pm

Back in the day, Curly Culp was an all pro defensive tackle for the Kansas City Chiefs and an NCAA wrestling champ at Arizona State.
drd5748

Post by drd5748 » Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:57 am

Henry Jordan, Virginia, NCAA 2
In NFL Hall of Fame
theanswer

Post by theanswer » Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:18 am

Dave Joyner Penn State
Spladle1989

Post by Spladle1989 » Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:32 am

Coy Wire was a pretty good wrestler and football player....two time PA runner-up losing in finals at heavyweight as a junior in OT then losing in finals as a senior at 189 to Rob Rohn 9-4....career record of 120-11....went on to Stanford where he led Stanford in rushing one year and in tackles the next year.......Drafted by the Buffalo Bills in the 3rd round and had a nine year NFL career with the Bills and the Falcons as a free safety....

I know doesn't exactly fit category but what an athlete.....
mookie

Post by mookie » Tue Feb 21, 2023 12:29 pm

It makes zero sense that Kevin Cahill would object to Garcia wrestling and I doubt that he does. Nick Saban has commented on how he loves recruiting wrestlers. So did Urban Meyer at Ohio State. In fact, I've never heard of any football coach objecting to a player also wrestling.
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Tue Feb 21, 2023 12:39 pm

Saban liked recruiting those football players who wrestled in high school. He coached at schools that didn't have collegiate wrestling. As for Meyer, he was also in Florida for a good time, whether he allowed any star football players to wrestle at OSU, would need to be researched. But, with all the money tied up in FBS football players I would be surprised if (m)any were given free rein to wrestle. However, I understand the interest in recruiting high school wrestlers due to the expectation of being 'toughened up' and having a fighter's attitude. Similarly, I am also aware that a lot of football coaches like see high school football players who have played basketball--especially linemen. Coen would specifically go to some schools to watch prospective linemen play basketball because it revealed out good ( or bad) their footwork skills were.
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:06 pm

Back to my question let me clarify. Who was the most recent wrestler to have AAed in Div 1 Wrestling and D1(FBS or FCS) in college. Use to be that was 4 years, then 5, now 7 or 8.

First off my own answer may not be 100% accurate. Steve Sefter definitely placed in 82 + 85. But the fuzzy record is football. The only thing I am sure of his that he was never 1st team AA. He played in one of PSU strongest football eras when they were awarded their 2 national titles. And SS did play some in the NFL, but I just cannot find a list of honorable mentions on AA lists.

John Hokit apparently played in all but one of their games, like 50) but only 7. He was a walk on in Fball, recruited as a wrestler. Originally he intended to wrestle at Drexel and walk on their football team, He would have been about 40 yeas late.

Yes we all know about Curly Culp, Jim Nance, D Joyner ( and a lot of other PSU guys with successful football careers and successful hs but not wrestling career.

So I need yo check with PSU fans, Bob Golic IS Certain,
whiz wit

Post by whiz wit » Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:25 pm

I was a two time All American place kicker and Division 3 wrestler at Norfolk State in 1966-67. Our cheerleaders used to cheer me on with this cheer:

"We're from Norfolk,
We're from Norfolk,
We don't drink,
And we don't smoke,
Norfolk, Norfolk, Norfolk.