JOHN SMITH retires

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
Spladle1989

Re: JOHN SMITH retires

Post by Spladle1989 » Wed May 08, 2024 10:02 am

theanswer wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 9:33 am Too much prize money and prestige for Taylor not to go.
I agree, wouldn't hurt recruiting to have a sitting Olympic medalist as your new head coach.......would be worth the "time away from program" training.........

Oracle

Post by Oracle » Wed May 08, 2024 11:49 am

When will it be decided about Brooks?

If Taylor goes, it will have minimal effect on the Okla St team as it's summer. If anything, it would be awesome for the program as every elite recruit wants top win the Olympics someday.

Can anyone think of a better way to launch a coaching career?
mh1

Post by mh1 » Wed May 08, 2024 5:20 pm

My take is that NIL money now runs these programs. Athletic directors will become pawns of these organizations. You will do as told or money dries up and whatever back door deals go on. Very crazy time in college sports. I think Smith wanted Scott to become coach, but in the end it was not his decision.
JAD77

Post by JAD77 » Wed May 08, 2024 7:47 pm

theanswer wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 9:33 am Too much prize money and prestige for Taylor not to go.
I wonder. Ok St has HUGE athletic dollars. I wouldn’t be surprised if Taylor is making more money than Sanderson. If so, the money from USA Wrestling for winning a gold medal (and certainly no guarantee of that) becomes a lot less important.
FloridaGuy

Post by FloridaGuy » Thu May 09, 2024 8:50 am

>>>>>>> There was always plenty of booster money flowing thru the major state schools———but it was in conjunction with the AD, coaches, etc.

Now some of that money can flow directly to the athletes which changes the dynamics———elite athletes have more control over their future and finances while the admins and coaches have less.

The new world of NIL might be a factor in elite coaches like Saban and Smith retiring.
theanswer

Post by theanswer » Thu May 09, 2024 9:15 am

250K is still 1/4 million to me. Taylor has earned more than wrestler, just shy of 1/2 million. The trials was his only competition since '23 worlds and Brooks had extra pep. According to posters on themat.com if it was the NFL he would be gone already. 3 months of training and Taylor might have a shot at gold at least worth a try. I have to plant tomatoes but if someone has more time here is a link. Let us know what he says.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCH83ogxsv4
P.S. Just thinking out loud, but Vito's post match interview gave tremendous credit to his trainer for miracle turn around but maintained that it was a secret. hmmm maybe Adderall.
theanswer

Post by theanswer » Thu May 09, 2024 12:35 pm

Was wrong about Taylor being the top money earner. When John Smith went for his second he probably only got a stipend that did not even cover meals and travel. If lucky maybe a Wheaties box.
https://www.themat.com/news/2023/novemb ... 00-in-2023
1/2NELSON

Post by 1/2NELSON » Fri May 10, 2024 1:16 pm

DAVID TAYLOR press conference:

https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/1 ... conference

Well-done by the new COWBOY coach who fits the profile of a COWBOY,.. with roots in Wyoming, and having ridden horses, etc. Thought it interesting when he was initially approached by OSU A.D. as to his availability/interest in the job,.. his retort was to whether or not he was going to have the resources to be successful. Prudent question from a young businessman let alone a HEAD-COACH! :roll:

Interesting as well was his admitting that his recent drive/INTESITY to make our Olympic team was a bit less than stellar after having already achieved his life-long dream of being an Olympic champion. :?
Last edited by 1/2NELSON on Fri May 10, 2024 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spladle1989

Post by Spladle1989 » Fri May 10, 2024 1:24 pm

Yeah, he basically said his and Gilman's competitive careers are finished.......which makes you wonder if Brooks is out for Olympics does Hidlay go? Sounds like yes......
whiz wit

Post by whiz wit » Fri May 10, 2024 1:37 pm

Spladle1989 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 1:24 pm Yeah, he basically said his and Gilman's competitive careers are finished.......which makes you wonder if Brooks is out for Olympics does Hidlay go? Sounds like yes......
Wouldn't look very patriotic for the defending Olympic and World Champion to pass the baton to third string Hidlay with the Olympics not far away. Those folks in Oklahoma are pretty conservative and it might not go over well.