Columbia Head Coach Opening

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
Justafan

Re: Columbia Head Coach Opening

Post by Justafan » Fri May 17, 2024 11:30 pm

I'm not sure I understand you post.

Mark Hall who until about a week ago was a coach at Penn (not Penn State, where he wrestled). And yes, he moved over to the Oklahoma staff as I posted.

The Ivies, except for Cornell is in shambles.

martinsilvestri

Post by martinsilvestri » Sat May 18, 2024 9:07 am

Justafan wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 11:30 pm I'm not sure I understand you post.

Mark Hall who until about a week ago was a coach at Penn (not Penn State, where he wrestled). And yes, he moved over to the Oklahoma staff as I posted.

The Ivies, except for Cornell is in shambles.
Oh yes youre right. i misunderstood. So Penn is suddenly down Reina, Pearsall, Hall (and Berger is uncertain after announcing retirement from wrestling). Geez
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Sat May 18, 2024 11:04 am

Shambles? A little strong, no?

Natural side effects of their move to isolate from the EIWA. Conversely, the EIWA needs shoring up to say the least. There are 5 remaining programs that need to up the ante, and can: Drexel, American, Binghamton, Hofstra, and yes F&M. Coach Rogers has been chipping away and is more competitive than the Dips have been in many years.
If this escalation occurs, then the EIWA will be viable and sending a nice contingent to NCAAs.

Openings at Columbia and Hofstra and I'm thinking Hofstra is the better job (more upside) if they have funding.
Justafan

Post by Justafan » Sat May 18, 2024 12:24 pm

I'm not sure "in shambles" is too strong at the moment.

If I look at the Ivy League at the currently. Cornell is in a remarkable place right now. After that Princeton is in a state of transition, that hasn't really produced as of yet. Columbia is losing coaches and wrestlers to the portal although I haven't checked if they are all grad transfers. Penn is in disarray. Brown and Harvard will probably not be a force anytime soon.

Withdrawing from the EIWA will probably not be helpful.

I wonder if Lachman saw the writing on the wall. I was thinking recently that this may be the time to pounce. I don't think it is a secret that Lehigh attracts a lot of the same athletes and yes students as the Ivies. The playing field may be leveling out in the short run.

Just my thought.
mookie

Post by mookie » Sat May 18, 2024 5:45 pm

Lachman did Lehigh a favor.
LUEngineer

Post by LUEngineer » Sun May 19, 2024 9:27 am

I am confused by Mookie post. Isn’t Lachman coming in with this incoming class joining his buddy from Quakertown?

Why did he do us a favor?
mookie

Post by mookie » Sun May 19, 2024 9:49 am

It's my understanding he flipped his commitment to Penn, and I don't think he's much of a heavyweight prospect.
martinsilvestri

Post by martinsilvestri » Sun May 19, 2024 10:13 am

No, he flipped his commitment from Penn to Lehigh in September and Flo failed to update their list properly, as they've been known to do. And come on now, let's give the young man a chance. He just made the jump up to heavyweight last year and most of his losses have been to lafayette's greatest wrestler sean kinney. Plenty of time to improve behind Taylor, after which time he may or may not be the guy.

To make things even more confusing... Penn has a recruit starting this year by the name of Nate Taylor
JAD77

Post by JAD77 » Mon May 20, 2024 10:57 am

mookie wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 9:49 am It's my understanding he flipped his commitment to Penn, and I don't think he's much of a heavyweight prospect.
Geez Mookie - do you ALWAYS have to be so damned negative?

Wessell was an undersized heavy too, until he put on what looked like about 30 pounds of pure muscle.
Destito was basically an overweight 177 lber.
Big Nate really had one good year in HS (don't remember his national HS ranking).
All the above 3 turned out pretty darned well.

Give the kid a chance - there's a lot of heavyweight talent on the Lehigh Campus that will help him improve.
gimpeltf

Post by gimpeltf » Mon May 20, 2024 11:32 am

Destito was being recruited at 142/150 (Pitt, I think) as I recall him telling me. He was 145/154 his last two years in HS.