Sheridan Invit.

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
whiz wit

Re: Sheridan Invit.

Post by whiz wit » Fri Oct 06, 2023 2:32 am

gimpeltf wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:43 am Here's my understanding so far-

Lehigh
F&M
Brown
Cent Mich
Indiana
Rutgers
Cornell

Each team allowed 15 (Lehigh 30)
Flo just posted teams. No Rutgers. No Cornell.

gimpeltf

Post by gimpeltf » Fri Oct 06, 2023 4:41 am

whiz wit wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 2:32 am

Lehigh
F&M
Brown
Cent Mich
Indiana
Rutgers
Cornell

I'm one of the directors. I don't think Cornell is sending starters- and maybe the same for Rutgers but Loman (SID) just confirmed their attendance.
NothingMeaningful

Post by NothingMeaningful » Fri Oct 06, 2023 7:43 am

gimpeltf wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 4:41 am

Lehigh
F&M
Brown
Cent Mich
Indiana
Rutgers
Cornell

I'm one of the directors. I don't think Cornell is sending starters- and maybe the same for Rutgers but Loman (SID) just confirmed their attendance.
Cornell has removed this event from their schedule website, if it was ever there in the first place. They will be at the Collegiate duals a couple of days prior, so certainly no starters.
LUEngineer

Post by LUEngineer » Fri Oct 06, 2023 7:46 am

Better than nothing but goal must be to get Rutgers back on home & home duals.

This is insane not to capitalize on this natural rivalry. Ad’s need to step into this breach!
gimpeltf

Post by gimpeltf » Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:17 am

NothingMeaningful wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 7:43 am
gimpeltf wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 4:41 am

Cornell has removed this event from their schedule website, if it was ever there in the first place. They will be at the Collegiate duals a couple of days prior, so certainly no starters.
It wasn't removed. It was never on as an official date.
1/2NELSON

Post by 1/2NELSON » Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:38 am

LUEngineer wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 7:46 am Better than nothing but goal must be to get Rutgers back on home & home duals.

This is insane not to capitalize on this natural rivalry. Ad’s need to step into this breach!
Sadly someone doesn't want to engage, and I'm tired of "scheduling" conflict as a cop-out! :o

Sheridan event used to have everyone's A-TEAM, but not so anymore. Knew right from the get-go that Rutgers, and Cornell would not be sending their head-liners. Rutgers because Goodale continues to play DODGE-BALL with Santoro, and Cornell is already a dual in January. Hopefully Lehigh, as the host, will have all their starters!
Last edited by 1/2NELSON on Sat Oct 07, 2023 9:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Sat Oct 07, 2023 10:50 am

While it may be disappointing that top invitees Rutgers and Cornell may not send their starters, or in Cornell's case, even attend -- I am encouraged that 30 LU wrestlers will enter. Maybe not 3 per weight (we'll see) but it may, indeed, end the discussion on public wrestle-offs. Wrestling in front of spectators with a hired ref is the way to go. IMO.

Unless ....... coaches decide to declare co-champions. That would be unfortunate should that occur.

On another note: I am in favor of true frosh, who intend to defer, pull down to their best weight like every other serious program has their guys do. Learning that Stanich and Schoppe are aiming at 125 and 174 seems to point this will be the case. It's unclear what Repos and Grungo intend to do but hopefully one is shooting for 149.

mookie says Crookham has separated himself from McGonagle. If so, Crokhma's first few opponents are pretty serious --- AA Nagao 5, and AA Fix 2,2,2,4 ... then in mid-January NCAA champ and World Champ Arujau and Collaiocco. We're going to find out quickly what's what.
lu_alum

Post by lu_alum » Sat Oct 07, 2023 2:11 pm

LUEngineer wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 7:46 am Better than nothing but goal must be to get Rutgers back on home & home duals.

Still trying to figure out the fascination with Rutgers as a "natural rival".
  • They have no NCAA wrestling history to speak of.
  • Lehigh owns a 43-3 career record against them.
  • Lehigh gains nothing by scheduling them - it's a lose/lose scenario.
Aside from the fact that our ever-aging fanbase can make an easy (< 1hr) drive for an away meet, I don't get it.

Historically, Lehigh's natural rivals are Penn State and Navy. Aside from them, blend in Cornell and the Ivy program du jour.
Mountain Hawk

Post by Mountain Hawk » Sat Oct 07, 2023 2:20 pm

lu_alum wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 2:11 pm

Still trying to figure out the fascination with Rutgers as a "natural rival".
  • They have no NCAA wrestling history to speak of.
  • Lehigh owns a 43-3 career record against them.
  • Lehigh gains nothing by scheduling them - it's a lose/lose scenario.
Aside from the fact that our ever-aging fanbase can make an easy (< 1hr) drive for an away meet, I don't get it.

Historically, Lehigh's natural rivals are Penn State and Navy. Aside from them, blend in Cornell and the Ivy program du jour.
Agree here. Fuggedaboutem
whiz wit

Post by whiz wit » Sat Oct 07, 2023 2:33 pm

While historically a pushover, in recent years Rutgers has risen to LU's level and maybe a little beyond. They're Big Ten. They have a huge and very enthusiastic fan base. They're reasonable driving distance from LU. Would you really rather see LU get creamed year after year by Penn State than wrestle competitive matches against Rutgers?