Transfer Portal

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
Oracle

Re: Transfer Portal

Post by Oracle » Wed May 10, 2023 11:52 am

Probably/likely Toast is right.

A few guys at top programs maybe -- but it's amazing how women's softball can generate NIL more so than wrestling.

The potential for NIL being disruptive is certainly there. I think Lehigh is affected more by max stipends than NIL at this point. That and 'generous' academic admissions and majors, lower over-all tuition, and better institutional support in terms of training and nutrition. Tuition at Lehigh is ridiculously high. 9.9 prevents maxing out an elite recruit with no-need. Although I'm pretty sure other forms of aid can be granted.

The Jordan Woods and Ryan Crookhams of the world are few and far between for LU. Both local. The NJ kids coming in en masse this year is a good sign. All told, IMO, Lehigh is doing well in recruiting.

BTW, we don't want anyone who doesn't want us.

JAD77

Post by JAD77 » Wed May 10, 2023 12:11 pm

Toast wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 10:54 am Hey thanks, Oracle. You’re ok too! Hope you’ve been well.

Also, I think a guy like Gable Steveson may have gotten a nice check from the WWE. I do not think many others are getting much because why would they? Wrestling isn’t a revenue generating sport because only a few crazy diehards care about it. Ergo, while there may be some shadowy fanatic with deep pockets greasing the skids for his favorite team like people are suggesting without a shred of proof, it seems unlikely to me.
I hear ya Toast, but wrestling is a religion in some states - especially Iowa. I would not be at all surprised if Brands had a huge pool of money to pull from. In fact, I'd be surprised if he didn't.
BP-LU87

Post by BP-LU87 » Wed May 10, 2023 12:53 pm

Lehigh has/had many big time wrestling fans who have contributed large sums of money for the non revenue generating sport of wrestling (see Caruso center, etc) I would think (but cannot prove of course) that these same fans could/would rally around the NIL option for the same reasons as before….love of their school’s wrestling legacy and the drive for it to succeed into the future.
JAD77

Post by JAD77 » Wed May 10, 2023 2:23 pm

BP-LU87 wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 12:53 pm Lehigh has/had many big time wrestling fans who have contributed large sums of money for the non revenue generating sport of wrestling (see Caruso center, etc) I would think (but cannot prove of course) that these same fans could/would rally around the NIL option for the same reasons as before….love of their school’s wrestling legacy and the drive for it to succeed into the future.
Due to the fact that the Lehigh base is comprised almost entirely of Lehigh alums, and that they are rapidly aging, that pool of donors is shrinking very quickly.

Meanwhile in Iowa - as per my previous example, it is practically a statewide religion. It's not just Iowa alums (and there are 6-7 times as many of them as Lehigh alums), but it seems like almost everyone in the State follows Hawkeye Wrestling.

I guess there's not much else to do there but watch the corn grow (not intended as a slight, just a reality check).
FloridaGuy

Post by FloridaGuy » Thu May 11, 2023 4:57 pm

>>>>>>> As I noted on the Standford thread, Iowa’s money supporters and the Brands experienced a portal disaster this off season.

There are currently number of PA and NJ guys in the portal that could help Lehigh——we’ll see what, if anything, transpires.

NIL funding for Lehigh should not be an issue if handled correctly.

If LVWC can raise significant funding for wrestlers, coaching , travel, etc. ————- we should be able to raise NIL funding to help attract 2-3 ultra blue chip recruits each year.
gimpeltf

Post by gimpeltf » Thu May 11, 2023 5:20 pm

FloridaGuy wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 4:57 pm If LVWC can raise significant funding for wrestlers, coaching , travel, etc. ————- we should be able to raise NIL funding to help attract 2-3 ultra blue chip recruits each year.
Unless you know of a new source of funding- the way you are thinking here would come at the cost of the LVWC guys.
mh1

Post by mh1 » Thu May 11, 2023 7:45 pm

gimpeltf wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 5:20 pm [quote=FloridaGuy post_id=54745 time=<a href="tel:1683838642">1683838642</a> user_id=780]
If LVWC can raise significant funding for wrestlers, coaching , travel, etc. ————- we should be able to raise NIL funding to help attract 2-3 ultra blue chip recruits each year.
Unless you know of a new source of funding- the way you are thinking here would come at the cost of the LVWC guys.
[/quote]

That might be a new way to look at staying in “the game”
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Thu May 11, 2023 8:17 pm

mh1: agree
Mountain Hawk

Post by Mountain Hawk » Thu May 11, 2023 9:15 pm

Another potential sad victim of this nonsense.
FloridaGuy

Post by FloridaGuy » Thu May 11, 2023 9:43 pm

>>>>>> Time to take a step back and look at the entire playing field.

Lehigh wrestling lost ground when it took years to implement athletic scholarships. The answer was ultimately raising funds to endow scholarships.

The playing field is changing—-either adapt and embrace NIL or lose ground to the Power 5 teams

If we can raise money to send Cruz to the Pan Am tourney for Puerto Rico, then we should be able to raise money to attract the next 4-5 Darian Cruz and Jordan Woods to Lehigh.

If we can’t do both, then I’d rather have LVWC supporting Lehigh wrestlers first and foremost.

Just one opinion from a long time fan.