LU v Army

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
JAD77

Re: LU v Army

Post by JAD77 » Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:43 am

Oracle wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:07 am The announcer was outstanding. No mumbling, never repeating himself...a real pro. His phrases as applied to wrestling were original and apropos in most instances. The 'color man' was obviously an Army guy but very fair. I honestly can't recall ever being so entertained by a set of announcers. That along with the excitement of the dual = high grade entertainment. The 'play by play' guy emphasized scoring moves with increased volume and excitement -- kinda mirrored what fans think and fell. We need more of this guy, not less. What's his name?
Like your take. At first, he really put me off. The wrestler got a "reverse" instead of a reversal - said that multiple times. But the more I listened to him the more I started to enjoy it - some very funny lines.
Let's face it - everyone on here is a wrestling fan, and will watch regardless of who the announcer is. To the casual fan, or someone new to the sport - he definitely adds some excitement/pizzazz to the dual.

whiz wit

Post by whiz wit » Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:58 am

Ironic that what many on this forum clamored for for some time hasn't worked at all. May even have backfired. Is it my imagination or has Logan fared worse at 165 than at 174? This might have been a stronger team with Logan at 174 and Herceg at his prior weight of 165.
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:35 am

IMO, no question Herceg at 165 and Logan at 174 would be preferable. But it is what it is at this point. Hey, they tried something to shake things up. No problem with that here.
George Porgie

Post by George Porgie » Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:26 pm

gimpeltf wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 5:26 am
George Porgie wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:21 pm
HFO wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:24 pm
WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"on a roulette wheel at saturday night bingo." :-)
That was his whole line. The guy was something else.
So sorry I missed the second half of the line. The roulette wheel thing takes it into a whole new dimension.
There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge.
LUEngineer

Post by LUEngineer » Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:37 pm

Agree Logan should abandon his weight cutting & reverse weights with Herceg. It ain’t working!!!

I too actually enjoyed the enthusiasm of the announcer.

Nice unexpected win by Seymour.
George Porgie

Post by George Porgie » Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:22 am

LUEngineer wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:37 pm Agree Logan should abandon his weight cutting & reverse weights with Herceg. It ain’t working!!!

I too actually enjoyed the enthusiasm of the announcer.

Nice unexpected win by Seymour.
We'll just have to agree to disagree about the announcer, but I turned the volume down. Very exciting match though. Til the last buzzer. Seymour, Wilt, lots off good stuff. I am enjoying watching the team come together as someone else said.
whiz wit

Post by whiz wit » Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:02 am

I feel like I missed something being in the stands and not being able to hear the announcers on the stream. But in consolation I was entertained by Seymour's dad, who was sitting on the other side of the aisle from me and during his son's bout was on his feet yelling instructions at the top of his lungs the entire bout.
jdalu75

Post by jdalu75 » Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:53 am

whiz wit wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:02 am I feel like I missed something being in the stands and not being able to hear the announcers on the stream. But in consolation I was entertained by Seymour's dad, who was sitting on the other side of the aisle from me and during his son's bout was on his feet yelling instructions at the top of his lungs the entire bout.
Let's hope that he was yelling the same instructions that the coaches were yelling.
LU in the Hub

Post by LU in the Hub » Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:04 am

Glad to hear that Seymour’s dad was there. That was the best match I’ve seen Seymour wrestle. Berginc is tough.

Do wrestlers even listen to what the coaches are yelling?
HFO

Post by HFO » Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:58 am

LU in the Hub wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:04 am Glad to hear that Seymour’s dad was there. That was the best match I’ve seen Seymour wrestle. Berginc is tough.

Do wrestlers even listen to what the coaches are yelling?
Seldom...you are in the moment and you do not really hear them. Sometimes if you happen to be facing them, you see them showing the move or possibly hear them, but those are rare. As a fan, for years I would yell like they actually hear. No breaks in action, they get an earful of corner man instruction.