Humphreys 5 years vs vs O’Connor 6 yrs

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
Sanddollour

Re: Humphreys 5 years vs vs O’Connor 6 yrs

Post by Sanddollour » Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:23 pm

martinsilvestri wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:03 pm No upside or rationalization to that one; if Humphreys leaves and wrestles another year that's a catastrophic L for lehigh and one which says horrible things about the program.

The only alternative which makes sense would be if Humphreys has already lost his initial appeal so has decided to go get a grad degree elsewhere on the assumption he wont be wrestling. And in doing so entered the portal for the unlikely event that the decision is reversed. feels like a stretch though.
How’s this. If you or anyone does not have first hand information. Why not say nothing at all. Yes it would stink if Hump leaves. But that is a choice that is made by him and his family. And to say this is on the coaches. Again why not start being positive. Otherwise don’t say anything at all

FloridaGuy

Post by FloridaGuy » Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:32 pm

>>>>>>>>Another episode of As the World Turns.

Two scenarios I could understand ( not saying I’d like it, but I would understand):

An acceptance at a grad program Lehigh can’t match——— the Stanford MBA program or a Law school.

Or

An NIL offer that would be crazy to turn down and that Lehigh wouldn’t/couldn’t match.

Of the two, I would find the second scenario extremely troubling.
martinsilvestri

Post by martinsilvestri » Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:54 pm

Sanddollour wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:23 pm And to say this is on the coaches. Again why not start being positive. Otherwise don’t say anything at all
who said it was on the coaches? i said it says bad things about the program if their best wrestler in a number of years leaves. the program is more than the coaches, and this probably speaks more to the administration's ability/willingness to support him in opposing the ncaa's decision. im the first to say lets not be negative but there's no upside to losing humphreys here if he does indeed get that final year. sorry but its bad news.
whiz wit

Post by whiz wit » Thu Aug 24, 2023 12:48 am

Flo has him in the portal.

Regardless of the reality, the perception is likely to be that he dumped the program for something better or because somebody or something really pissed him off.

Should do wonders for recruiting.
Last edited by whiz wit on Thu Aug 24, 2023 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Toast

Post by Toast » Thu Aug 24, 2023 5:55 am

NothingMeaningful wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 2:34 pm
Toast wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:09 am Interesting...the University of Pennsylvania has a tremendous assortment of graduate programs. They wrestle too.
Graduate students don't wrestle at Penn.
I'll make an exception for Humphries.
Spladle1989

Post by Spladle1989 » Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:14 am

Austin Sommer (Intermat EIWA correspondent) tweeted out that multiple appeals by Humphreys have been shot down by NCAA......yet there he is in the portal....strange situation really

Mineo also just tweeted that "all signs" pointing to Koll to UNC
martinsilvestri

Post by martinsilvestri » Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:23 am

Maybe we are thinking about this all wrong. Guys just trying every conceivable angle to get another year. whether feasible or not.

Lets all agree that when North Dakota State sends out mysterious, moustachioed young upstart Jose Humphrez we all won't say a word, okay?
Spladle1989

Post by Spladle1989 » Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:03 am

The only thing that bothered me in this whole thing is when GIMP suggested Lehigh may have "ruled against him" in pursuing extra year.

Although Gimp was more wondering than stating fact (don't want to throw him under the bus), you would think the university would try to pursue his case if the young man wanted to, by all accords the kid represented well on the mat and was a top student also.......

Can't really blame Humphreys for seeing what his "value" is in the NIL world if he does end up with an extra year of eligibility.....Lehigh I would guess would always have the option to "match"........

Amazing how much has changed just in the last 4 years or so in the NCAA eligibility world.
whiz wit

Post by whiz wit » Thu Aug 24, 2023 12:21 pm

I can't imagine why LU would have "ruled against" Humphreys, and it would surprise me if they were part of the waiver process except as advocates in favor of a waiver.

I also wouldn't think Humphreys would put his name in the portal and have a bunch of coaches calling him if he wasn't eligible.

My guess (and it's only that) is that he was unhappy with the way LU handled (or didn't handle) his request for a waiver so he found some other advocate who got him the waiver.
martinsilvestri

Post by martinsilvestri » Thu Aug 24, 2023 5:13 pm

whiz wit wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 12:21 pm.
My guess (and it's only that) is that he was unhappy with the way LU handled (or didn't handle) his request for a waiver so he found some other advocate who got him the waiver.
it would be really unfortunate if this is true, but makes sense. if so thats a big ball to drop for LU.