Anybody Want to be Volunteer Assistant Coach?

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
whiz wit

Anybody Want to be Volunteer Assistant Coach?

Post by whiz wit » Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:05 am

With less than two weeks to go before the scheduled opener, no one listed on the roster.

Anyone know of any hiring activity (or non activity) or have a favorite?

jdalu75

Re: Anybody Want to be Volunteer Assistant Coach?

Post by jdalu75 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:03 am

Word is that there's a hiring freeze on. How this would affect a volunteer position is beyond me, though. I was sorry to see John Hughes resign, but the timing of his resignation definitely benefited Zach Rey.
whiz wit

Post by whiz wit » Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:29 am

jdalu75 wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:03 am Word is that there's a hiring freeze on. How this would affect a volunteer position is beyond me, though. I was sorry to see John Hughes resign, but the timing of his resignation definitely benefited Zach Rey.
I could be wrong about this timing, but my recollection is that Hughes resigned very early last season. After some time, I commented on this board that his position had yet to be filled, and you responded that you thought it was on account of a hiring freeze. The team went the rest of the season with Hughes' spot open and with Rey being the Volunteer Assistant. Then at some point Rey was promoted into Hughes' spot and the Volunteer position has been open since that time.
jdalu75

Post by jdalu75 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:00 am

The first post on this forum about Hughes resigning is dated 11/21/2019; that's earlier than I remembered. I can't find a post showing Zach's promotion, but his biography on Lehigh's website says it happened in December 2019 (also earlier than I remembered).

I know that Darian was working as the volunteer assistant well before the season ended and he was listed among Lehigh's coaching staff on the website. There would have been no reason to freeze hiring before March 2020.