Columbia

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
JoeV

Re: Columbia

Post by JoeV » Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:44 am

I agree regarding lack of mat awareness. Those are reasons duals are lost. Sad that all there is to say is everyone had good fight and gave effort. How exactly is that measured? Appeared Watkins gave some effort but unfortunately he wasn’t told or didn’t know enough to give up the escape before being called for stalling. It was a 2-point swing that lost the bout. I suggest that if you want a top 10 or 15 team 100% effort is expected always and by all, and we start measuring effort directly with the score of the bout.

whiz wit

Post by whiz wit » Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:22 am

They lost to a mediocre team. Period.

Btw, Princeton lost to Harvard. They're also having a disappointing season.
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:30 am

whiz wit: Come on man! Give a little credit to the opponent. Sounds like big time sour grapes calling Columbia "mediocre.'
They competed well at Okla State. Columbia had us on the ropes last year and probably should have won that one too.

Columbia is solid, if not spectacular. They have an RTC, a good staff, an Ivy education, and NYC has turned into a recruiting plus, not a minus.

Lehigh was without Humphreys -- that alone would have accounted for an 8 point swing in the team score. But everyone has injuries (ask Arizona State) -- you still go out and compete.

When so many individuals and teams are "upset" -- are they really? Or is the competition so intense with only 79 D1 teams that the margin of error is very slim?

It doesn't take much to make curt posts like yours which lack context and analysis. I support your ability to comment and also support my ability to respond.
LUEngineer

Post by LUEngineer » Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:57 am

I agree with whiz wit: Columbia is a mediocre team. I also agree with Oracle that we had an 8 point swing but that still means we lost 4 matches with only 1 legitimate Top 20 wrestler on their team & Frinzi did a great job against him.

McGonagle is looking more like Humphreys on top each & every outing punishing his opponent & love to see that. Can’t Logan learn something about riding from these 2 guys or do they practice in different rooms?
whiz wit

Post by whiz wit » Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:09 am

To my mind there were only 2 very good wrestlers who took the mat for Columbia last night: Kazimir & Ogunsanya. As for the rest, they ranged from pretty good to decent to worse. To me, that's a mediocre team.
mookie

Post by mookie » Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:47 am

What you're seeing is recruiting from the past 5 years. No doubt that most are giving their best efforts.
lu90

Post by lu90 » Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:05 pm

mookie wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:47 am What you're seeing is recruiting from the past 5 years. No doubt that most are giving their best efforts.
3 starters on redshirt (Seymour, Rogers and Crookham) and Humphreys hurt, but still somewhat agree. We seem to lack the competitive depth to replace current non-performers in the lineup.
btownespy

Post by btownespy » Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:27 pm

Lehigh is just not a good team right now. It happens to a lot of teams. It goes in cycles. They will be ok.

Lehigh biggest issue is they can’t solve 65/74.They have guys with credentials but they haven’t developed. Lehigh hasn’t had “great” recruiting classes and it’s showing. Imagine the team if we didn’t bring in those transfers.
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:27 pm

It's one thing to give 100% effort and try like heck; but, another to not wrestle smart. You can give all the physical effort you have, but it won't make up for mental mistakes (most of the time). I think a visit by a sports psychologist should be required. Some of these kids seem to lack confidence in themselves. It doesn't appear physical. Need a quick turnaround and get the heads snapped on tight.
lu_alum

Post by lu_alum » Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:01 pm

drd5748 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:58 pm Yes, it was a Pederson; even re-watching it was confusing but often is.
If you're going to describe a move. You can at least spell it correctly...
Ben is often credited with having invented a version of the Granby Roll wrestling move, popularly called the Peterson Roll, but denies having invented the move. He says that he used the move during the widely viewed Olympic Games, which is one reason the move became connected to him.