Hawk Talk #3

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
Richb-3

Re: Hawk Talk #3

Post by Richb-3 » Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:19 pm

Yep. We need to emulate the universities in the least woke states in the Union. The states on the Gulf Coast. We know the wrestling colleges in those 5 states totally dominate NCAA wrestling.

oldhawk2

Post by oldhawk2 » Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:56 pm

Its kind of pointless to discuss anything prior to 10ish years ago when it comes to college athletics. The landscape has completely changed in the past 10 or so years with things like social media NIL and plenty of other things. I mean no disrespect and I believe that we are all doing what we think is best to help the program but we have to admit that the majority of us on here are quite disconnected to what it means to be a college athlete or even a college student these days. While coaching techniques and training ideologies for what it takes to be successful are relatively the same, the whole ordeal has been flipped on its head because of these things. It's also kind of pointless to complain about the way Lehigh admin is set up because its something that all universities are dealing with. Instead of complaining about "woke" whatevers we have to find ways to work inside the system that exists because I doubt that those things are going to change in the foreseeable future.
Mountain Hawk

Post by Mountain Hawk » Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:56 pm

oldhawk2 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:56 pm Its kind of pointless to discuss anything prior to 10ish years ago when it comes to college athletics. The landscape has completely changed in the past 10 or so years with things like social media NIL and plenty of other things. I mean no disrespect and I believe that we are all doing what we think is best to help the program but we have to admit that the majority of us on here are quite disconnected to what it means to be a college athlete or even a college student these days. While coaching techniques and training ideologies for what it takes to be successful are relatively the same, the whole ordeal has been flipped on its head because of these things. It's also kind of pointless to complain about the way Lehigh admin is set up because its something that all universities are dealing with. Instead of complaining about "woke" whatevers we have to find ways to work inside the system that exists because I doubt that those things are going to change in the foreseeable future.
Oh its going to change - and not in a good way for bloated admin positions. HS seniors in raw numbers declining every year for some time now (I think 2016 was peak baby boomer year). So the pool of applicants is ever-declining now. Cost has increased beyond any component of inflation measures in this country by a multiple factor. I don't have to mention how prohibitively expensive it is. So many worthless degrees out there that can't pay back student loans with the jobs they dont have. With AI and online learning all over the place now, colleges - and all the bloated admin that goes with them - are headed for a reckoning.
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:50 am

Lawyers and Wall Street types never seem to struggle to pay back their college loans.

Nurses and HS science teachers often struggle to back back college loans.

Solution per the anti education folks. More Law students and more finance majors; fewer nursing and science education students??????????????
Mountain Hawk

Post by Mountain Hawk » Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:00 am

Richb-3 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:50 am Lawyers and Wall Street types never seem to struggle to pay back their college loans.

Nurses and HS science teachers often struggle to back back college loans.

Solution per the anti education folks. More Law students and more finance majors; fewer nursing and science education students??????????????
no, fewer soft Arts & Crafts majors.
Spladle1989

Post by Spladle1989 » Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:02 am

If you're a nurse and you're struggling to pay back your student loans, well you are doing it wrong......

Lawyers are a dime a dozen these days, has become a very hard degree to have a lot of success with (with obvious exceptions) and lord knows the world needs less lawyers......

As for teachers, why in god's name would they go to anywhere but a state school for a teaching degree? If they do go the state school route they should have no problem paying back student loans, why would you go to a private school and rack up debt to be a teacher?

Students are adjusting to these realities, the problem is the ones who made the mistakes previously......as Mountain Hawk said the reckoning is coming for high priced private institutions, the cost involved is ludicrous unless you are chasing a degree that they provide which better guarantees success in a particular well paying field, not some general knowledge degree.....
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:14 am

More and More Obvious that Spladle and Mountain Hawk never went to Lehigh, or if they did had, zero friends.
Spladle1989

Post by Spladle1989 » Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:22 am

Now that is not a very bright statement....I went to Lehigh, was in a fraternity, was actually social chairman of my fraternity for 2 years......but reality is reality, if you went to Lehigh to be a teacher what the heck were you or your parent's thinking?

If you went to Lehigh for a general degree and ended up being a nurse, umm you did it wrong....my wife is a L&D RN, my son is a Peditric Trauma ER RN, they both went to state schools and paid it back 5 years after graduation or less.......

Lehigh was bloated expensive back in the late eighties, but you look at the way private universities costs have outpaced inflation it is just ludicrous.......none of my kids were interested in engineering or finance, but they were all interested in Lehigh......I made it very clear to them the costs and higher debt involved with private universities versus degree.....thankfully they all made the right decision and are in a better place for it......

You can love Lehigh and miss it for what it was, but the reality is other than in specific areas it isn't that anymore......
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:38 am

if you never identify yourself, you can make up any fiction abut yourself.
Mountain Hawk

Post by Mountain Hawk » Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:46 am

Richb-3 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:14 am More and More Obvious that Spladle and Mountain Hawk never went to Lehigh, or if they did had, zero friends.
pretty unintelligent comment coming from someone who professes to teach.