Edinboro Open

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
mh1

Re: Edinboro Open

Post by mh1 » Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:58 pm

Note that Owen Reinsel lost to Alvarez 3-1 in semis and Alvarez beat Leia 10-2 in finals.

mookie

Post by mookie » Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:00 pm

I like them both a lot. On another note, Coach Hughes was never adequately replaced and is a huge loss to Lehigh wrestling.
Spladle1989

Post by Spladle1989 » Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:18 pm

If you do a deep dive on the 184 bracket and the results it’s fascinating….
FloridaGuy

Post by FloridaGuy » Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:48 pm

>>>>>>>>>My recollection is that Leia had a one pt lead and while working to convert another td he tried to roll thru with a cradle——-but Alvarez stopped the roll thru and scored a td plus 4 back pints——- making the score 7-2.

I give Leia credit for an early lead and trying to score on a big move——- it’s part of learning process.

Reinsel, imo, is more technically sound than Leia at this point in their development———he also appears to be taller and might have a career at a higher weight than Leia. Will be fun to watch both of them in the future.

Wilt finished 3rd in NJ at 195 so he’s a good sized 184——— should be an interesting weight next year.

Manzona showed good restraint when his opponent hammered his head during an end of match ride ( Manzona had a comfortable lead) ——— clearly had a few choice words for his opponent while pointing at the scoreboard. Ref, imo, let things go a little too far.

Interesting question——— who takes the 149 spot at the EIWAs?
lu_alum

Post by lu_alum » Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:21 am

LUEngineer wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:52 pm Who did Seymour lose to in the semi’s? I remember Voach Hughes telling me before he left to watch Leia as he was going to be a stud recruit.
tOSU Frosh Brendan McCrone. Score was 12-7.
https://ohiostatebuckeyes.com/roster/brendan-mccrone/

Seymour gave up a R2 & NF4 w 12s to go in the first period that had him playing catchup the rest of the way. A late scramble R2 and RT tacked on another 3 pts to make the score look worse.
Spladle1989

Post by Spladle1989 » Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:39 am

Interesting question——— who takes the 149 spot at the EIWAs?

Brignola.....way more consistent at this point in his career.....only quality D1 wrestler at all that Bryant wrestled this weekend he lost to in the semi's............first three guys he beat in the tourney had records of 5-13, 4-10 and 0-2 ........the kid can be explosive but loses too many matches he should win.......
LUEngineer

Post by LUEngineer » Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:37 am

Agree that Brignola deserves the spot supported by his 3rd place finish last year. While not flashy he is consistently competitive.

Sure hope Logan has been working on dropping to 165 for EIWA as his talent is just not showing against guys consistently bigger & stronger at 174.
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:12 pm

Agree with Spladle on 149 -- Brigs should be the guy.

Disagree with LUEngineer -- Logan ain't going 165. I heard Meyer is done. It looks like Frinzi, who is experienced though lacks horsepower. Frinzi showed up for Army and battled to the final buzzer. All you can ever ask of a guy.
Army had some hard-nosed wrestlers on the mat against LU -- Franco at 133 competed well. McDaniel at 149 also. Actually, someone mentioned Bailey's lack of leg attacks -- he did indeed shoot a nice leg attack but did not convert it. Needs to do more of it instead of digging that under hook that he doesn't use.

BTW< Seymour is a shooter and a hustler, as we all know, but lacks size. He could be our guy next year. Having watched both Lane and Bailey from neutral, we could use a change of pace. Seymour would give us that. But there's still plenty of season left and time for Bailey to hit a higher gear from his feet.
LUEngineer

Post by LUEngineer » Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:47 pm

I know Oracle that Logan will likely not drop weight class but do you really think he would not beat out Frinzi?

Logan is a very talented wrestler but we unfortunately won’t see it from him unless he cuts weight. He has a tough decision to make about his remaining wrestling career.
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:04 pm

LUEngineer wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:47 pm I know Oracle that Logan will likely not drop weight class but do you really think he would not beat out Frinzi?

Logan is a very talented wrestler but we unfortunately won’t see it from him unless he cuts weight. He has a tough decision to make about his remaining wrestling career.
>>>>>> Where did I reference Logan-Frinzi ranking bout? Simply stated Frinzi will be our guy at 165 - IMO -- with Logan remaining at 174. The Burkhart experiment seems like it's over. We'll see.