Gaige Garcia

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
drd5748

Gaige Garcia

Post by drd5748 » Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:51 pm

An alert LUWN reader noted today that Gaige no longer appears on the wrestling roster. Feedback I heard was that the new football coach, Kevin Cahill, wasn't eager to continue the two-sport deal with all of the aid coming from football. Of note is that the deal was struck before Mike Beard arrived.

Oracle

Re: Gaige Garcia

Post by Oracle » Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:46 am

Thank you for posting this. After all the crap you took, you didn’t have to.

It makes perfect sense and if I was taking over a 2-9 team I’d do the same thing. Gaige Garcia was a luxury for the wrestling team they didn’t end up having to use.

Everyone wins! And best of luck to GG in his years ahead on the gridiron.
legger

Post by legger » Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:35 am

**** Very sorry to hear, but like O said, I wish Gaige the best of everything.
LUEngineer

Post by LUEngineer » Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:37 am

Given the background of our new head coach, Lehigh offense will become a running game offense featuring Garcia vs the traditional Lehigh QB lead passing offense.

Garcia is the future of Lehigh football & I am sure knowing that made the decision an easy one for Garcia as well.

We are in good hands with Beard & Taylor for the balance of Garcia’s career. Look forward to seeing Garcia with a couple of 1000 yard rushing seasons in Goodman!!
JAD77

Post by JAD77 » Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:41 am

Yes, thank you for the info. Guess we’ll never know how good he could have been. Playing football, he was probably never going to make 197 lbs anyway, and was giving up over 50 lbs to big Nate. Too bad there’s no 220 lb weight in college - we might have been able to see him on the mat.
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:50 am

JAD77 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:41 am Yes, thank you for the info. Guess we’ll never know how good he could have been. Playing football, he was probably never going to make 197 lbs anyway, and was giving up over 50 lbs to big Nate. Too bad there’s no 220 lb weight in college - we might have been able to see him on the mat.
There is an intermediate weight class, around 225 in club wrestling
1/2NELSON

Post by 1/2NELSON » Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:18 am

Oracle wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:46 am Thank you for posting this. After all the crap you took, you didn’t have to.

It makes perfect sense and if I was taking over a 2-9 team I’d do the same thing. Gaige Garcia was a luxury for the wrestling team they didn’t end up having to use.

Everyone wins! And best of luck to GG in his years ahead on the gridiron.
A LUXURY you state, based on what, a H.S. resume, or a brief moment-in-time at Michigan! He was neither a contributor, or a detriment to our team,.. HE WAS AWOL! :? And I have yet to check-out his grid-iron STAT sheet, but is he a HEISMAN-TROPHY candidate, and that much of a liability to a dismal football team if he were to step foot onto the mat? We've had a few kids do both,..as All-America(3rd) Jon Rushatz comes to mind, and on other campuses such as Princeton's one and only NCAA Champ/NFL player Ben Glass, and Syracuse legend Jim Nance. 8-)

DRD took the heat, and deservingly so,.. as I believe he "planted" the seed for an anticipated appearance that never materialized. Till this day do we know if he was actually ever IN-THE-ROOM working-out or not? That should have been easy to ascertain! :evil: For a gentleman with INSIDE access, a simple ELVIS-HAS-LEFT-THE-BUILDING response would have put to rest the rumor-mill. :roll:
Last edited by 1/2NELSON on Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:38 am

Ridiculous. If if was of such importance to you, why didn’t you drive over from NJ to see for yourself? Blaming DRD who lives 2.5 hours away is your answer? He runs a newsletter service, he’s not an official voice of the U. What, he should violate his trust so you can feel better?

Always easy to blame someone else. Makes board posters feel good I suppose.
LU in the Hub

Post by LU in the Hub » Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:49 am

I think we're all optimistic about Nate based on the way he's been wrestling lately. It'll be interesting to see what he can do at EIWAs, as he'll probably be seeded 4th or 5th, pitting him vs Slavikouski if they both get to the semis.

It would take a good game plan that uses his size to upset Slav - the guy has the #1 RPI for a reason, he basically doesn't lose.
mh1

Post by mh1 » Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:27 pm

184-197 looks pretty deep with Beard, Rogers, Davis, Wilt and Brancato. Also, Schoppe will be arriving. With Nate only being a freshman it still is never too early to be looking for that next heavy. Sean Kinney from Nazareth is hopefully on the radar.