Transfer to Lehigh

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
FloridaGuy

Re: Transfer to Lehigh

Post by FloridaGuy » Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:23 pm

>>>>>>>>Per the football adage: it’s not the Xs and Os, it’s the Jims and Joes

The NIL opens the door for Lehigh wrestling alums/fans/friends to make up any funding/scholarship shortfalls.

It’s up to the admins and coaching staff to utilize the NIL in recruiting and retaining elite wrestlers.

Admissions help for 2-3 guys a year is critical, incl admissions help with transfers.

Recruiting D-11 is good, but way too limited———every top program recruits nationally.

Lehigh should never disrespect all the other sports/athletes/coaches by openly announcing wrestling is special.

Maryland excels in lacrosse without saying lacrosse is more important than football, basketball, etc.

Lastly, paying adults to compete overseas is nice, but I’d use a sizable portion of that funding to support Lehigh student wrestlers.

Oracle

Post by Oracle » Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:24 pm

Denny: With all due respect.....you aren't the arbiter here. This discussion is about how to match Cornell, not Oklahoma State. What the Trustees will do or not do isn't the point. We're talking about what's needed. Your solution is the status quo and that's not really working. "3 more of that, 1 more of that" --- if the Queen had balls, she'd be the King. Fans have *every* right to discuss this. Fans alsao have *every* right to have expectations for the program they follow and support. If you disagree with that -- listen to Tom Brands sometime, because he gets that.

Lehigh is located smack in the middle of the most fertile recruiting area in the country. Beth Catholic #1 in PA AAA. Faith Christian #1 in Pa AA with a very young team. Others from nearby high schools are elite, like soph Gaj from Quakertown.

It's not lack of effort by the staff, or lack of competence, or facilities or alumni support --- it's about money. It usually is. When the solution is dismissed because it's been voted down before, that's disappointing. LU either gets it done financially or just shut up about being top tier. End of rant.
LUEngineer

Post by LUEngineer » Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:14 pm

You go Oracle—It’s about being The best in the east outside PennState!!
LUEngineer

Post by LUEngineer » Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:20 pm

Matching Power 5 supplement for wrestling only is easy decision without announcing wrestling is more important than other sports.

The reason that every other sport is in the Patriot League that does not permit it.

NIL is a whole different subject but let’s deal with what Lehigh can control which is a competitive supplement.

University does not control NIL & dust is still settling on that subject.
drd5748

Post by drd5748 » Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:33 am

Correct, I’m not arbiter - but the Trustees control every possible improvement, as they’ve done forever. W/out them we’d have no forum like others don’t

We’re free speech here, for better or worse, I’m just trying to remind you what’s unlikely to change after 30 years of massive upgrades and spending, i.e., just because other schools have prostituted their minor sports doesn’t mean we want to or can afford to. It’s the trustees’ job - and it’s unclear how many “wrestling trustees” are still on the Board

Today, an influential gift starts at $5mil. Buellar? ?
HFO

Post by HFO » Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:43 pm

drd5748 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:33 am Correct, I’m not arbiter - but the Trustees control every possible improvement, as they’ve done forever. W/out them we’d have no forum like others don’t

We’re free speech here, for better or worse, I’m just trying to remind you what’s unlikely to change after 30 years of massive upgrades and spending, i.e., just because other schools have prostituted their minor sports doesn’t mean we want to or can afford to. It’s the trustees’ job - and it’s unclear how many “wrestling trustees” are still on the Board

Today, an influential gift starts at $5mil. Buellar? ?
I had my yearly call this week. As stated previously, as long as Lehigh remains woke, it will not receive a dime. I remember when Presidents used to send their Advancement people to my home. I have other places now to give $1 million+ per year. Actually considering DeSales University, Physician Assistant Program as it is an institution about MORE DO, other than less talk. My end is coming in next few years. Lehigh is no longer a top priority.

Lehigh is a mess. The more alumni realize this, the sooner it can be fixed.

On transfer front, Bernie Truax just came available. He started at Cal Poly-SLO at 149lbs and grew to 197. If either he or Beard could commit to 184lbs, that would be something beneficial to Lehigh Wrestling, might even garner a few larger donations.
LU808

Post by LU808 » Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:12 pm

Sorry to hear that LU has moved lower (much?) on your priority list. I understand this completely. While not in your donor class I do have discretionary resources that go to local organizations and specifically not to Lehigh. They have broken my spirit if not my heart for the place. I say this as someone was on the same FB teams as Sterrett, Alliva, Riker, Kreider.
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:00 am

Desantis Attorney on Woke.

"During the testimony, Warren's attorney, Jean-Jacques Cabou asked those within DeSantis' administration what "woke" meant to them.

The governor's general counsel, Ryan Newman, said, in general, it means "the belief there are systemic injustices in American society and the need to address them." He added that DeSantis doesn't believe there are systemic injustices in the country, reports Florida Politics."

https://www.fox13news.com/news/what-doe ... rren-trial

Unless you believe their are no systemic injustices in the country, you should be woke.
whiz wit

Post by whiz wit » Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:35 am

Richb-3 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:00 am Desantis Attorney on Woke.

"During the testimony, Warren's attorney, Jean-Jacques Cabou asked those within DeSantis' administration what "woke" meant to them.

The governor's general counsel, Ryan Newman, said, in general, it means "the belief there are systemic injustices in American society and the need to address them." He added that DeSantis doesn't believe there are systemic injustices in the country, reports Florida Politics."

https://www.fox13news.com/news/what-doe ... rren-trial

Unless you believe their are no systemic injustices in the country, you should be woke.
Not a good definition. I believe there are systemic injustices in the country - affirmative action, for example - but I'm not part of the woke crowd. Newman should have given a narrower definition.
Asa Packer

Post by Asa Packer » Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:23 pm

How about defining woke as political correctness gone wild. As former adjunct faculty at state university with 5600 students, was not allowed to say "guys open your text to page x". "Guys" would trigger a few students.
Took a DEI survey once. Third question was gender, with 13 choices. If you put $1000 on table, I couldn't name 13 genders.
I could go on, but going to try to name at least 8 genders.