EIWA NCAA Performance

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
Mountain Hawk

Re: EIWA NCAA Performance

Post by Mountain Hawk » Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:06 pm

lu90 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:36 pm
JAD77 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:39 pm
lu90 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:19 pm

Fairy dust, jelly beans and positive energy emitting from their success crystal.

Although for arguments sake, McGonagle, Beard, Crookham, Rogers, Hines and Taylor should all be top 15ish next year. Transfer portal could help at 65/74. Figure out who is the best guy at 25/49 early and stick with them. And IF Josh is back, that could push them to Top 10. I will say, a staff Psychologist may do wonders to get some of those guys into meaningful Saturday matches.
Apparently the Cornell team has a team psychologist that a lot of the wrestlers give credit to for positive frame of mind and some of their success. Koll left no stone unturned. And I say that positively, not as a negative.
Mindset coaches are extremely common with most professional athletes and many college programs. It was not a joke. Lehigh wrestling needs a mindset coach (I just assume we don't have one; if we do, might be time to post a job listing). It is not embarrassing nor a slight to current staff or student-athletes, it's just keeping up with the competition.
MH would like to nominate mookie. Anyone second the motion?

mookie

Post by mookie » Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:51 am

Flattered, but I have my hands full with this moderator gig. I am but one man.
HFO

Post by HFO » Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:06 pm

Cornell delivered...not so sure about rest of EIWA.
As for next year,
125 undecided
133 undecided
141 undecided
149 undecided
157 undecided...lean NCAA not giving Josh another year.
165 undecided
174 undecided
184 undecided
197 Beard
285 Taylor

So essentially the entire lineup is up for grabs. I suspect we can land one more NCAA qualifier to 6, possibly 7. Of those 6-7, only 2 will score serious points. The rest will be 1-2 scaddoo. Lehigh is not in same league as Cornell or Top 10 NCAA right now. It needs better talent. The coaches are more than capable. Lehigh is just not getting enough Top guys to field a great team at every weight.

Because so much is undecided for the lineup, it does however make it interesting for the fans from wrestle-offs on. So this year...do a real wrestle-off like Lehigh used to do and many of the Big 10s currently do. Even if it only decides the line-up until the Holiday Break.

Josh Humphreys...very happy for him. Samuleson coming to Lehigh was a plus. Hope he enjoyed his experience and built some good contacts before he goes out into business world. Everyone else has to up their game, but learned something from a long and trying season. There just was never a good spark happening with this team. Just always felt like a black cloud loomed over it.

Hope more guys do freestyle and develop an offensive game from neutral. Freestyle helps that.
FloridaGuy

Post by FloridaGuy » Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:37 pm

>>>>>>>>>Why throw shade on next years’s team at this early date.

Lots of uncertainty on the starting lineup, but also lots of upside potential.

Losing 5th ranked McG to an injury doesn’t negate his future. He had a solid wins over AAs this year.

Seymour and Crookham both placed at the Midlands.

Hines went up a weight and made rd/12

Beard had wins over AAs this year and Taylor improved to EIWA 2nd.
LUEngineer

Post by LUEngineer » Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:25 pm

Here is how we get to Top 10 next year:

Humphreys back for one more year-NCAA champ

Beard fixes his 3rd period issue—-Top 3

2 other All Americans from among:

McGonagle/Crookham/Hines/Taylor
drd5748

Post by drd5748 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:51 pm

Since Hines told me his 1st 2 yrs he'd finish at 165, it's not really a stretch that he 'might' go 149 next year. Now that he's over the Humphreys about his former addiction to 133, anything's possible if he keeps eating & lifting.

You can pencil in "Hawk Talk" Caden Rogers, at 184 w/challenge from Davis. To refresh after Caden got lost in ACL shuffle:committed July ’21, then ranked #28 by OpenMat. Despite his Nat Preps 1st, 2nd at 195, 220, he’ll go 184. He gives us four Top 40s on paper, all PA: Rogers, transfers Garcia, Beard; Crookham, Lawrence. Their ‘exact’ rankings have varied; each Top 30 at some pt (up or down).
Rogers first cracked the rtgs via 4-3 Jan semis win at 189 at Powerade vs. Top 40 Mac Stout, a Pitt recruit and 2020 PA 2. Caden lost the final 5-3 to a teammate; combined they won National Preps at 182, 195. Rogers had wins vs. a Cornell recruit and 2 vs. a Top 60 Wyoming sign, incl. the Prep finals.
Among other steps up: Beast 8; NHSCA Fr (7), Fargo Nat (4th, Freestyle; 5th, Greco in ‘21). In April he placed 4th at U20 U.S. Open; also 4th at U20 World Team Trials. He’s the son of F&M coach Mike Rogers, a 2x NCAA 6 for Lock Haven at 150 in ‘96, ‘97