LU Business School

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
drd5748

LU Business School

Post by drd5748 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:15 pm

It's good to be told as a b.s. and MBA from Lehigh who has ties to trustees in the business world that I should stick to things I actually understand, a.k.a. "don't mess with the anonymous public rants of mthawk as he systemically tries to shred Lehigh's otherwise solid reputation. We don't even know if he's a Lehigh alumnus, do we?

Just a few notes: the CBE and the Lehigh@Nasdaq Center (I assume you all know Lehigh helped create it in SF in '17) launched Startup Academy in '18. The unique, 10 wk internship program gives students the chance to learn about the entrepreneurial process by immersing themselves in the innovation ecosystem of SF, experiencing a messy, exciting startup. They also engage in a 1 credit course as cohort, putting classroom knowledge into real-world environments, expanding skill sets and professional relationships.

Lehigh in Belgium: an LU prof. designs courses to take advantage of Belgium’s unique and pivotal role in the political, economic, and cultural development of modern Europe, with proximity to Brussels, the capital of an expanding European Union

Tauck Scholars Program - endowed by Arthur Tauck ‘53, this also provides a chance for students to participate in an int'l internship in the summer before their senior year

Iacocca Int'l Internships: Global Summer Internship program for LU students including int'l co-ops; research experiences, internships or cohort internships led by an LU faculty matching LU students with peers from another country

DF2002

Re: LU Business School

Post by DF2002 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:20 pm

drd5748 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:15 pm It's good to be told as a b.s. and MBA from Lehigh who has ties to trustees in the business world that I should stick to things I actually understand, a.k.a. "don't mess with the anonymous public rants of mthawk as he systemically tries to shred Lehigh's otherwise solid reputation. We don't even know if he's a Lehigh alumnus, do we?

Just a few notes: the CBE and the Lehigh@Nasdaq Center (I assume you all know Lehigh helped create it in SF in '17) launched Startup Academy in '18. The unique, 10 wk internship program gives students the chance to learn about the entrepreneurial process by immersing themselves in the innovation ecosystem of SF, experiencing a messy, exciting startup. They also engage in a 1 credit course as cohort, putting classroom knowledge into real-world environments, expanding skill sets and professional relationships.

Lehigh in Belgium: an LU prof. designs courses to take advantage of Belgium’s unique and pivotal role in the political, economic, and cultural development of modern Europe, with proximity to Brussels, the capital of an expanding European Union

Tauck Scholars Program - endowed by Arthur Tauck ‘53, this also provides a chance for students to participate in an int'l internship in the summer before their senior year

Iacocca Int'l Internships: Global Summer Internship program for LU students including int'l co-ops; research experiences, internships or cohort internships led by an LU faculty matching LU students with peers from another country
You’re an expert on everything. We get it.
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:28 pm

As the former alumni director of the Wharton School he may know something.
LUEngineer

Post by LUEngineer » Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:38 pm

No one is arguing with you Denny that we don’t have a good business school. Fact of the matter is Lehigh Business School probably has surpassed Engineering school since we de-emphasized Engineering in late ‘90’s.

Unfortunately, we were all talking about wrestling superiority vs all other sports becoming a priority to attract more local stud recruits in addition to some Jersey/NY state champs.
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:56 pm

Improving other colleges at the University should not be seen as a "zero sum gain". I am not aware of any policy that incorporated "cuts" to the Engineering College directly resulting in "gains" to Business, Arts & Science and Health Sciences. Lehigh is now considered a 'National Research University", a far cry from our standing 50 years ago. Some may prefer to be a big fish in a small pond; I believe reaching beyond our grasp has been a one of Lehigh's hallmarks both in academics and athletics.
drd5748

Post by drd5748 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:21 pm

I was replying to mnhawk’s trash talk
Period
Mountain Hawk

Post by Mountain Hawk » Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:28 pm

drd5748 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:21 pm I was replying to mnhawk’s trash talk
Period
You should know that I am now a 3 generation Lehigh family. Goes back to the early 50's. I worked on WallSt for almost 30 years and have had an active hand in helping our wrestlers get internships, jobs, and general counsel about how to proceed with their careers in this area every chance that I got to do it. I have assisted in hosting the the team in the city with Coach for dinners and other events and have financially supported the team as best I could over the years. I've also helped wrestlers from other programs to get a leg up in the industry when asked.
So I don't need to hear a GD thing from you about trash talk. What you hear from me are facts. Wrestlers tell me that WallSt firms don't recruit them directly from the business school (unlike some of the other schools in the EIWA). Lehigh gets recruited well by the Big5 accounting firms - on campus - but little else in the way of money jobs. They are left to hustle and work every contact possible to find work and some of them have shown an incredible ability to do so. It is my contention that we are well-positioned to build a business school so strong that WallSt comes shopping for our guys. Thats not what we have now despite your anecdotal crap about a course you can take in fkg Belgium or an internship in SF. EVERY decent school offers all of that.
I have a great blueprint for what i believe the solutions are and that blueprint has been shared with the appropriate folks at Lehigh. What i don't need is you responding to any of my posts because its patently obvious that you know nothing about what is happening out there in the industry and what the kids are up against in getting noticed and hired.
You made accusations against me earlier in the year that went beyond belief and you never had the guts to respond when I called you out for it. So I would ask again that the painfully ignorant not respond on this topic. You're at the top of the list.
drd5748

Post by drd5748 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:03 pm

Well, that's nice - and very surprising - since you get an 'F' in Alumni Relations ,if you bring your blue prints to campus while also slinging so much public stuff at your alma mater. As if doing this here will improve Lehigh.

I spent 5 yrs as Wharton's Alumni Dir, with my smartest move (among few) to attend as many Thurs afternoon free beer pubs as possible, as scheduled for their MBAs. After learning the 4-part breakdown for the Ann Bus Week Grad B-school polls, my standard plea to them was: "if you want to maximize your degree's value, stop whining to Bus Week when they interview you -- and bring your complaints to me or the Dean's Office." Didn't drink much beer but in my last yr, Wharton won #1 for the first time in 20+ yrs.

Sometimes short, positive messages sell better.
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:49 pm

Gotta like an anonymous person complaining about a real person not providing a direct response.
HFO

Post by HFO » Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:13 pm

The reality is that College of Business & Economics has not been a premier place for decades, at least to the 1980s. It cannot attract a momentum mass of graduate business school students. The two most common majors are finance and accounting. It produces very few economics majors at undergraduate and graduate level.

It is in not on most Investment Banks Top 10 recruiting short list. Few hold major recruitment events at Lehigh.
Here is output of placement for 2022 graduates. ln alphabetical order, not by number of placements. After the accounting firms/consulting firms which usually hire 30+ for each of the major 4 firms, there is a huge drop off. Of the investment banks, Lehigh is lucky to place 3 or more of the League Table Top 10.

Solution 1: Do not make lawyers Deans of Business Schools.
Solution 2: Leverage the relationships. Even Perella Weinberg is not a major hire of Lehigh grads. At the graduate level, good luck, while highly competitive and competent, most are employed already, but those who come from foreign countries are disappointed to how few companies come to campus to hire.

Lehigh has been in a mess since the hiring of John Simon. It has become a bigger mess with current President. He has a shot to right a sinking ship, or do what is necessary to recovery the institution. I participate in the strategic planning and outreach to alumni, but as of now, it is time for a mutiny of Lehigh alumni. There have been too many strategic blunders for too many Presidents. Carnegie Mellon, GA Tech and others got it right to focus on prestige of graduate research education, Lehigh has got it wrong from the Ulrich endeavor to make Lehigh a near Ivy Peer. The only way out is to go full throttle of meritocracy in every aspect of the university and raise institutional research funding and become competitive.

So far, just a lot of lipstick on a pig. It needs to change. I am already funding a campaign for the removal of many members of Board and President Helble. Other institutions such as UNC and VMI are also part of this endeavor to correct the decline of the academy and erosion of academic freedom.

Top Employers
Accenture*
Amazon
Bank of America Merrill Lynch
Bloomberg
Citi
Crowe
Deloitte
EY
IBM
J.P. Morgan
Johnson & Johnson