Rider 165lb Hunter Mays Transferring In

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
LU808

Re: Rider 165lb Hunter Mays Transferring In

Post by LU808 » Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:26 pm

All this back and forth snipping is just dreadful and makes tuning into this Board less and less appealing.

Mountain Hawk

Post by Mountain Hawk » Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:32 pm

All I know is that George Mason is gonna be loaded.
HFO

Post by HFO » Thu Apr 27, 2023 2:20 pm

I'm with Gimp mindset. Don't know why it clicks for some guys and not for others. I remember when Jordan Burrows was in midst of his junior high school year. Was very good, but a lot of top programs were on fence with him. Really started realizing full talent level in his sophomore year at Nebraska with no donut Bryan Snyder of Easton, PA significantly responsible for his talent development and his mental preparedness.

2x NJ State is no joke. It's hard to do so the young man is like a block of granite just being started to carve. I hope a lot of our guys discover how good they truly can be. I have not written off that Thayne Lawrence can still break through and surprise.

Joe Paterno used to say, "Not as good as some think we are, Not as bad as some think we are.". The other best saying, The best thing about freshmen is that they become sophomores.

There is real AA talent in the room. Pat and coaches have to bring it out of those just on the cusp. Seeing Crookham the entire year will be worth price of admission.

I'm looking forward to the season already. I hope we still get 1 or 2 more transfer students. Maybe Samuelson goes back to CO and WY and talks up wrestling at Grace Hall.

It's still pretty darn good to be a Lehigh Wrestling fan. Just want to see more fight right off the bat in neutral. Come in expecting to win.
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:37 pm

Your last comment is right on the mark.

The best guys in the country shoot within 5 seconds of the opening whistle and score almost 100% of the time. Want to be one of the best guys in the country? Go and do likewise.
mookie

Post by mookie » Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:54 pm

Shooting in the first 5 seconds works great if you're clearly the better wrestler. It's a horrible strategy if you're overmatched.
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Thu Apr 27, 2023 5:36 pm

I beg to differ.

If your clearly over matched it’s your *only* strategy.
Unless you’re advocating standing there waiting to get steamrolled.

Lehigh fans love a fighter and have always supported a guy, even with a with a losing record who showed guts.
mookie

Post by mookie » Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:03 pm

Sending guys on suicide missions is just dumb. It might please fans but it's a loser.
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:42 pm

A little over stated, no? This is D1.
mookie

Post by mookie » Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:51 pm

Tell Logan to shoot on Starocci in the first 5 seconds. One size doesn't fit all.
Mountain Hawk

Post by Mountain Hawk » Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:22 pm

The two most common ways for a #25-40 type guy to knock off a top 8 guy is either a 6 point move from neutral (usually early) or some sort of reversal in a funky position to back points. I haven’t seen anyone on LU hit a cement mixer aka Rob Rohn for a very long time (did I miss one). I’m sure the coaches work on this and other potential game changers (like Hines reaching back for the head which he’s done at least twice now). I rem our coach in hs had a section of practice called “desperation time”. Headlocks, cement jobs, rolls, etc. Nice to have some kind of wild card in your pocket. I’m sure all our guys have their favs. So hard to catch a D1 wrestler in any of these but it does happen.