LOVE LETTERS IN THE SAND

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
Mountain Hawk

Re: LOVE LETTERS IN THE SAND

Post by Mountain Hawk » Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:05 am

How about Ralph Malph on Happy Days. Never graduated because he went to LA to audition and got the part.

mookie

Post by mookie » Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:12 am

Donnie Most was a star.
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:35 am

Donnie Most was there when I was here -- pledged at Sammy
1/2NELSON

Post by 1/2NELSON » Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:23 pm

The WIZARD OF YOZ, was a head-hunter extraordinaire, as evidenced here, and in numerous other matches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8u2c9QN2LmU

Pete was a 3X AAA(3,2,1),..and his 100th win ironically enough was in his last collegiate match against Pat Santoro. It occurred in the 1987 NCAA Finals via the CRADLE in-lieu of his lethal HEAD-LOCK attack! :o I was there, compliments of my good buddy Curt Callahan, former Maryland standout, and Assistant Coach.

My ultimate fantasy-bout features PETER YOZZO v DARRYL BURLEY :roll:
1/2NELSON

Post by 1/2NELSON » Fri May 19, 2023 2:15 pm

DARRYL BURLEY: When the topic of Lehigh's BEST of all-time comes up, so does this kids name! :o Saw him shoot on to the scene at JERSEY-STATES his Junior year, almost beating returning champ Tom Husted, and then beating a kid who would become his team-mate at Lehigh, Peter Schuyler,.. in the finals at Jadwin his Senior year.

A superb rider on top, with the balance of a squirrel, he was a 4X EIWA champ, and a 4X NCAA finalist(1,2,2,1). Doubt very much that we'll ever see the likes of him again, he was that special! :shock:

Lots of celebrities in this video starting with Freeman's coach Bob Fehrs who would like nothing more than ONE more shot at nemesis Mike Caruso who beat him in three consecutive NCAA finals! :roll: Also adding to the ambiance is former Burley team-mate Mark Lieberman(2,1,1) on the MIC with commentary, and a congratulatory handshake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IRerxV8K4Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1r1FWfyGky4
Last edited by 1/2NELSON on Sat May 20, 2023 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drd5748

Post by drd5748 » Fri May 19, 2023 7:08 pm

lol ...ambience not felt by their top rivals

About 6-7 yrs ago i met Fehrs for 1st of 3 times and allowed to him that i felt Bob's TD would have been called 2+2 today. He grinned sheepishly and: "I actually thought it was 4 back then" Things that matter in 8-7 shootouts
Mike later admitted he thought he had lost.
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Fri May 19, 2023 9:32 pm

Horseshit. It was not 2+2. Caruso bounced off his back for the decisive reversal in a skinny instant. No way under the rules was that a predicament. No way. Caruso’s reaction to that late pancake was remarkable. He deserved to win. Period. The end.
legger

Post by legger » Sat May 20, 2023 10:22 am

1/2NELSON wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 2:15 pm DARRYL BURLEY: A superb rider on top, with the balance of a squirrel, he was a 4X EIWA champ, and a 4X NCAA finalist(1,2,2,1). Doubt very much that we'll ever see the likes of him again, he was that special!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IRerxV8K4Q
**** Burley was absolutely amazing! If an opponent got his leg, they were in more danger than he was. His balance and ability to counter was unequaled and would usually end up taking them right to their back, while balancing on one leg.

Re: Mark Lieberman, he was Just Scary. I remember going to practice one day, when Hutch was coach and we had Bill Closson at Hwy. We didn't have anyone on the team who could go with Bill, so Hutch brought in Bernie Brown and Lieberman to give him so real competition. I knew Bill really well. On the day with Lieberman, (who was now older and stocky and probably weighed about 220). They were going by themselves in a far corner of the room. I moved over there to watch. As good as Closson was, he was no match for Liebs who threw him to his back 3X. The last time was a real high amplitude crunch. I let out a "wow". Lieberman ran over to me and stood over me and in a menacing voice said "Please be quiet, I have to really concentrate to still be able to do this at this level". Obviously I shut my mouth.

With the match with Bernie, it was a different match, (low scoring as Bernie was not flashy at all, but he was just so strong). Bernie now like Liebs was older and probably now was pushing 235. Bernie never was real mobile but his strength was probably even greater now than when he wrestled, as he was running his own paving company and hitting the weights. Closson couldn't do anything with him. and Bernie just controlled him when he was on top, pinning him 2X. One of the pins, Bernie was using just a tight waist to hold him. He pulled Bill straight back for the fall. After the match I talked with Bill. He said " You were right about his strength. I couldn't move, but you didn't tell me that he was funky with pinning combinations from just a tight waist".
1/2NELSON

Post by 1/2NELSON » Sat May 20, 2023 10:58 am

>>>DRD/legger: LOVE them brief personal anecdotes/reminiscences to compliment original thread. :D

>>>Oracle: I gotta agree with Denny, as i was there at Kent State for R3.. The pancake came out of nowhere, and the Ref somewhat slow in recognition. Could very well have been BACK-POINTS is my recollection, and don't believe the Lehigh bench, or Mike would have bitched. Mike bridged out for a neutral is my recollection.. :roll:
legger

Post by legger » Sat May 20, 2023 12:25 pm

**** There was also a write up in The Morning Call about a robbery near Emmaus, PA, where the assailant robbed someone at knife point. Mark Lieberman witnessed the attack and chased the robber.(I found the write up on-line, but is limited to Morning Call subscribers, as when you open it up it gets blocked with an ad requiring you sign up for a paid subscription), or I would have attached it. You can try to Goggle it if you want.

I remember Lieberman stating: "I started chasing the guy and knew I would catch him unless he could run 10 miles". Eventually Mark did catch up to the guy and the assailant turned and faced Mark with the knife drawn. Mark said: "I had to hurt him". The crook ended up in the hospital in critical condition. It is never a smart thing to challenge a 2X NCAA Champ, especially one as skilled and tough as Lieberman.