Transfer Portal

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
Mountain Hawk

Re: Transfer Portal

Post by Mountain Hawk » Thu May 18, 2023 11:42 am

We have same obstacles w portal as we have in regular recruiting. Most of these kids transferring are prob not full ride kids where they are so let’s just assume they are half ride kids. Probably a big factor in their calculus about where to show up is to do no worse on the net money.
So if a kid dumps out of a top state program on a half ride, we need to use almost a full scholly just to make things equal for him. The math never works for more expensive schools like us unless we’re ponying up extra NIL dollars to a kid that no other state school would need to.
Would be interesting to know Beard’s (elite) and Samuelson’s (near elite) deal to come to us last year. (Don’t worry newsletter peeps - I’m not asking). I would think if we’re getting anyone top flight Beard-type guy we could use a partial or full scholly if we had one left. Lots of non-elite guys who might upgrade us slightly on a weight will be tough to bring in when they consider the full financial picture vs a similar state program.

Oracle

Post by Oracle » Thu May 18, 2023 12:20 pm

Yes, correct you are. It was a miracle we got Beard and Samuelson last year. Something many folks on this forum take for granted. Signing Meys was great. Even if we don't get another, we are net ahead.
mookie

Post by mookie » Thu May 18, 2023 12:37 pm

It's a miracle that anyone would take the Lehigh coaching job with so many insurmountable hurdles.
FloridaGuy

Post by FloridaGuy » Thu May 18, 2023 1:45 pm

>>>>>>> My understanding is that the financial side of recruiting changed a few years ago to allow schools to combine need based financial aid with athletic scholarships.

Thus, a wrestler who would qualify for 50% financial aid could also now receive a tranche of athletic scholarship funding——- bringing.the total aid page to 100% with the use of half athletic scholarship.

It doesn’t change the fact that private schools like Lehigh are now, imo, ridiculously expensive even with increased levels of financial aid, but it adds flexibility to the 9.9 athletic scholarship funding.

On a side note, judicious use of the transfer portal also puts less stress on the use of the limited athletic scholarship funding. More mature, experienced transfers are a relative bargain vs hs recruits that need redshirt and development years.
Mountain Hawk

Post by Mountain Hawk » Thu May 18, 2023 1:50 pm

FloridaGuy wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 1:45 pm >>>>>>> My understanding is that the financial side of recruiting changed a few years ago to allow schools to combine need based financial aid with athletic scholarships.

Thus, a wrestler who would qualify for 50% financial aid could also now receive a tranche of athletic scholarship funding——- bringing.the total aid page to 100% with the use of half athletic scholarship.

It doesn’t change the fact that private schools like Lehigh are now, imo, ridiculously expensive even with increased levels of financial aid, but it adds flexibility to the 9.9 athletic scholarship funding.

On a side note, judicious use of the transfer portal also puts less stress on the use of the limited athletic scholarship funding. More mature, experienced transfers are a relative bargain vs hs recruits that need redshirt and development years.
OK to tap the free agent market on occasion. Would never want to refocus away from recruiting 4y Lehigh scholar athletes in any meaningful way.
FloridaGuy

Post by FloridaGuy » Thu May 18, 2023 3:37 pm

>>>>>>>>>Agree the primary focus is hs recruits, but I would supplement with transfers whenever beneficial.

Virtually all the top Lehigh teams had elite transfers——-certainly the case in the Caruso era and the Letters/Trenge era.

The transfer portal is a gift that will keep on giving if utilized correctly.
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Thu May 18, 2023 4:58 pm

Beard was an elite transfer. Samuelson won the EIWAs. We'll see how Hunter Meys turns out but he could end up being elite. This may be heresy but serious consideration should be given to red shirting him.
JAD77

Post by JAD77 » Thu May 18, 2023 6:49 pm

mookie wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 12:37 pm It's a miracle that anyone would take the Lehigh coaching job with so many insurmountable hurdles.
Perhaps the mookster could be a volunteer coach. That is, as long as it doesn't detract from his rigorous "board moderator" duties. :D
drd5748

Post by drd5748 » Thu May 18, 2023 8:00 pm

Yes, it me, not all you fans who skipped the Lewis Dinner sr speeches. Tate said: "Ask how I came to Lehigh - within 5 min after my name hit the portal, Zach Rey called me and wouldn't let me hang up until I agreed to accept an airline ticket sent the next day." I met his mom, dad and stepdad (all successful careers) and the family enjoyed the entire year. It's always a good idea to talk to coaches or the kids before posting
Mountain Hawk

Post by Mountain Hawk » Thu May 18, 2023 8:24 pm

Yeah we heard that story