Transfer Portal

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
Oracle

Re: Transfer Portal

Post by Oracle » Thu May 18, 2023 10:25 pm

drd5748 wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 8:00 pm Yes, it me, not all you fans who skipped the Lewis Dinner sr speeches. Tate said: "Ask how I came to Lehigh - within 5 min after my name hit the portal, Zach Rey called me and wouldn't let me hang up until I agreed to accept an airline ticket sent the next day." I met his mom, dad and stepdad (all successful careers) and the family enjoyed the entire year. It's always a good idea to talk to coaches or the kids before posting
>>>>>>>>> One of the more ridiculous notions posted in quite some time. I think I’ll take a hard pass on checking with parents before I post.

mookie

Post by mookie » Fri May 19, 2023 12:01 pm

Regarding me coaching: I’ll work the more 'normal' hours, but evenings and weekends are a no.
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Fri May 19, 2023 12:05 pm

Practices may turn from 'Camp Cupcake' into 'Camp Mookie'

Kinda has a nice ring to it.
D3 for LU

Post by D3 for LU » Fri May 19, 2023 12:19 pm

... but cupcakes taste better. :P
D3
Sir, a pint of you finest ale, please!
Never argue with an idiot... he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.
HFO

Post by HFO » Fri May 19, 2023 6:44 pm

Managed well...transfer portal indeed could be a great gift to LEHIGH, especially for 1 year grad transfers.

Grads I believe are only required by NCAA to maintain 9 credits per semester. Lehigh could through athletes a TA/GA role that is light duty. Additionally, Lehigh grad tuition used to be very reasonable. Plus, there is grad scholarship money also. With all that and a small NIL program, LEHIGH could land proven guys with good academics for immediate needs while 5 year undergrads develop in R/S and 1st year or injury year.

It is definitely a tool in the coaching chest. Pretty much a small universe each year. Top 33 guy whose been to NCAA at least once and has a year left and a good student for a weightclass need.

I think as guys like Peppleman, Samuelson and others who were grad year at Lehigh excel in professional life, Lehigh becomes a stackable experience both athletically and academically.

Then if it is an elite 5th year guy transitioning to give Olympic style wrestling, advantage of US National Team member athletes and coaches of LVWC.

I think Lehigh can be in the mix for a number of guys especially if they first came out of PA NJ NY where Lehigh has an identity.

For sure, it makes off season interesting. However, I do not think unless a guy is an outstanding undergrad student Lehigh should be entertaining too many 1st or 2nd year transfers. Lehigh accepts few to none 3rd/4th year transfers.
Spladle1989

Post by Spladle1989 » Tue May 30, 2023 4:24 pm

So NDSU wrestler Caliendo (NCAA 7th at 165) entered portal a few weeks ago and is rumored to have signed with Iowa for "six figure NIL deal", now his teammate Franek who Humphreys beat twice at NCAA's this year (beat him in championship side 5-2 and then in 3/4 match by score of 8-0) has entered the portal.......

Caliendo has I believe 3 years of eligibility remaining, Franek I believe has 1 year of eligibility remaining.......

Tough week to be NDSU coach......
Mountain Hawk

Post by Mountain Hawk » Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:58 am

Spladle1989 wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 4:24 pm So NDSU wrestler Caliendo (NCAA 7th at 165) entered portal a few weeks ago and is rumored to have signed with Iowa for "six figure NIL deal", now his teammate Franek who Humphreys beat twice at NCAA's this year (beat him in championship side 5-2 and then in 3/4 match by score of 8-0) has entered the portal.......

Caliendo has I believe 3 years of eligibility remaining, Franek I believe has 1 year of eligibility remaining.......

Tough week to be NDSU coach......
haven't you heard? Nobody is giving any wrestlers any kind of significant NIL money.
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:33 am

Six (6) NDSU wrestlers have entered the portal since Roger Kish left for Okla U. That's significant.

These (portal) days, ADs should meet with the team before elevating an assistant coach. Obviously, there is a problem with this many guys opting out. If they follow Kish to Oklahoma, maybe not. If they don't, then yes.
mookie

Post by mookie » Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:24 am

Caliendo does great impressions.
HFO

Post by HFO » Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:23 am

Confirmed NIL deals?
Does NCAA track who is paying what by sports program?

Other than Iowa and Oklahoma State I haven't heard of anyone doing NIL deals for wrestling other a few NCAA Champs or were proven in last year.

Then a few younger Cadet/Junior World Team phenoms like Jax Forrest and Bo Basset.

https://wrestlingunited.medium.com/ten- ... 2f00ae4bbd

So what is Lehigh AD NIL war chest? $10,000 in total for 500 athletes?