Transfer Portal

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
Oracle

Re: Transfer Portal

Post by Oracle » Thu May 11, 2023 9:58 pm

Agree.

The LVWC RTC - correct me if I’m wrong - has only 1 former Lehigh wrestler competing, Jordan Wood.

Perhaps we can’t do both effectively. If we can’t, then do one and that should be the college team. Maybe simplistic but allocating resources to the greatest and best use is important, no?

drd5748

Post by drd5748 » Fri May 12, 2023 2:30 pm

>>>Due to the fact that the Lehigh base is comprised almost entirely of Lehigh alums, and that they are rapidly aging, that pool of donors is shrinking very quickly.

....Ahem Unless you happen to post as God himself, it's pretty loose to use "rapidly" and "very quickly"
....Very few on this Board know how quickly.

.... FYI (and the Board's) the sole major donor who's died recently is John J Harmon, 2017. Before his imminent loss, his 2 daughters took pen & paper - and asked him to list every one of his wishes for the LU wrestling program. To the T.Lots of good stuff still arriving on schedule.
.... While the loose rate may quicken,1 in 7 yrs ain't many. And other aging alumni are using their wills
.... So quit yer bitchin' and try to avoid spreading falsehoods. We're good for now and quite awhile, too.
Six mo ago we landed our largest-ever LVWC - gift: 1 mi, about 3x our prior high
Mountain Hawk

Post by Mountain Hawk » Fri May 12, 2023 2:49 pm

drd5748 wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 2:30 pm >>>Due to the fact that the Lehigh base is comprised almost entirely of Lehigh alums, and that they are rapidly aging, that pool of donors is shrinking very quickly.

....Ahem Unless you happen to post as God himself, it's pretty loose to use "rapidly" and "very quickly"
....Very few on this Board know how quickly.

.... FYI (and the Board's) the sole major donor who's died recently is John J Harmon, 2017. Before his imminent loss, his 2 daughters took pen & paper - and asked him to list every one of his wishes for the LU wrestling program. To the T.Lots of good stuff still arriving on schedule.
.... While the loose rate may quicken,1 in 7 yrs ain't many. And other aging alumni are using their wills
.... So quit yer bitchin' and try to avoid spreading falsehoods. We're good for now and quite awhile, too.
Six mo ago we landed our largest-ever LVWC - gift: 1 mi, about 3x our prior high
Now there you had to go and do that.
drd5748

Post by drd5748 » Fri May 12, 2023 2:53 pm

As I'm hearing it, a (small, anonymous) group is touting a tunnel (funnel?) to forward cash to appropriate team recipients. Unclear who gets the moolah but presumably cash to put them over the top to say 'yes'. The coaches say they can't be part of it - understandably - but they'd have to forward LU offer details - something they've never done before. Somebody would have to put lids on NIL offers. Who would that be?

The head spins: especially since I've yet to speak to a single higher up at LU who believes in the concept of money shoveling unless it's a meaningful work assignment. Sure, they know "it" would leave us behind
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Fri May 12, 2023 4:03 pm

With less than 80 D1 teams, there is more than enough talent to go around. States that were heretofore not producing D1 wrestlers are now --Georgia, North Carolina, Alabama, Texas, West Virginia, Tennessee to name some.

Lehigh can place top 15ish with 2 reasonably high (higher than 7/8) placing AAs per year. We placed 20th this year with only 1 AA (3rd) but had a couple of R12s. Even without NIL and no changes whatsoever, Lehigh can take what they have been signing and have decent results. I think that's why the reluctance to play in that sandbox. And if lightning strikes once in a while, maybe closer to 10-15. If that's what Lehigh decides then that's it -- stop the bellyaching.
JAD77

Post by JAD77 » Fri May 12, 2023 6:47 pm

drd5748 wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 2:30 pm >>>Due to the fact that the Lehigh base is comprised almost entirely of Lehigh alums, and that they are rapidly aging, that pool of donors is shrinking very quickly.

Thank you for elevating my status Denny :lol: Now if I can just convince my wife and kids ....
drd5748 wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 2:30 pm .... FYI (and the Board's) the sole major donor who's died recently is John J Harmon, 2017. Before his imminent loss, his 2 daughters took pen & paper - and asked him to list every one of his wishes for the LU wrestling program. To the T.Lots of good stuff still arriving on schedule.
That is an awesome tidbit. And many, many thanks to Mr. Harmon and his family.
Mountain Hawk

Post by Mountain Hawk » Fri May 12, 2023 8:14 pm

There have been many great donors to the program but it’s hard to imagine where things would be without the extreme generosity of Mr Harmon through the years.
HFO

Post by HFO » Sat May 13, 2023 11:32 pm

Mountain Hawk wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 8:14 pm There have been many great donors to the program but it’s hard to imagine where things would be without the extreme generosity of Mr Harmon through the years.
Or the Oberkotters
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Sun May 14, 2023 9:50 am

I take it that’s you. Thank you for being generous to LU wrestling.
lu_alum

Post by lu_alum » Sun May 14, 2023 2:22 pm

FloridaGuy wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 9:43 pm If we can raise money to send Cruz to the Pan Am tourney for Puerto Rico, then we should be able to raise money to attract the next 4-5 Darian Cruz and Jordan Woods to Lehigh.
Why did Puerto Rico not pay for Darian Cruz' trip to the Pan Am tourney?