Matty Lopes

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
FloridaGuy

Re: Matty Lopes

Post by FloridaGuy » Wed May 17, 2023 12:49 pm

>>>>>>>> Schoppe was NJ 3rd at 175, so competing at 174 his frosh year seems reasonable———- especially if he is in the mix for varsity time.

Grungo, ( NJ 1st at 144 ) on the other hand, might have a better shot to make the lineup at 149 if Brigs moves to 157. Same situation for Repos.

Very interested to see how Stanich (NJ 1st at 126) matches up with Seymour and Bailey.

I anticipate that most, if not all, of the incoming recruits will redshirt, but ‘open’ weights can change things quickly.

Lastly, I think the transfer door is still wide open. There are more than 100 guys in the portal with a number of them from PA/NJ at weights where Lehigh needs help.

LUEngineer

Post by LUEngineer » Thu May 18, 2023 9:04 am

Comment about Logan being really “bad on top” is unbelievable given that perhaps the best top wrestler in the country has been in the room with Logan since he arrived at Lehigh.

I cannot understand why our coaches don’t utilize that talent to bring everyone up to that level. I get so tired of hearing that “top wrestling doesn’t fit my style”.

Once you enroll at Lehigh you no longer should have “your style” but adopt the Lehigh style which should capitalize on the strengths of its wrestlers like Humphreys. The only Lehigh wrestler who appears to have learned from Humphreys was McGonagle last year.

Does anyone else agree with me on this & get frustrated when we watch guys like Logan keep repeating the same style that hasn’t worked at the college level.
NothingMeaningful

Post by NothingMeaningful » Thu May 18, 2023 10:30 am

LUEngineer wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 9:04 am Comment about Logan being really “bad on top” is unbelievable given that perhaps the best top wrestler in the country has been in the room with Logan since he arrived at Lehigh.

I cannot understand why our coaches don’t utilize that talent to bring everyone up to that level. I get so tired of hearing that “top wrestling doesn’t fit my style”.

Once you enroll at Lehigh you no longer should have “your style” but adopt the Lehigh style which should capitalize on the strengths of its wrestlers like Humphreys. The only Lehigh wrestler who appears to have learned from Humphreys was McGonagle last year.

Does anyone else agree with me on this & get frustrated when we watch guys like Logan keep repeating the same style that hasn’t worked at the college level.
While a given program might have a particular "style," it is ridiculous to expect everyone to adopt the style of one particular top guy and be successful with that style. Unless you only have one type of wrestler in your program, which Lehigh (and every other program) does not. Learn some stuff from others? Sure. But not everything works for everyone.
LUEngineer

Post by LUEngineer » Thu May 18, 2023 7:16 pm

Strength clearly matters as in Humphreys case to make that style work but we have many guys plenty strong enough including Logan.

Why wouldn’t he adopt that ride & change his style as his high school style doesn’t work on college.
drd5748

Post by drd5748 » Thu May 18, 2023 7:53 pm

>>>

Code: Select all

... Does anyone else agree with me on this & get frustrated when we watch guys like Logan keep repeating the same style that hasn’t worked at the college level.
... For once I'm happy to agree with nothingmeaningful(!)
... One advantage attending a private school is freedom from institutionalism
...Thought Strobel once got so upset with Doto's addiction to riding that he told the ref to hit him
...Somehow, somewhere out there in LU land the light should go out on Logan riding or Logan cutting wt; this is his 5th year for goodness sake ! If he didn't cut by '23 why would he suddenly do 5th yr?
LUEngineer

Post by LUEngineer » Thu May 18, 2023 11:33 pm

if Logan is going to stay a 5th year & has his pride, he might just decide to do something different to end his career on a high note. This is a dedicated wrestler that was a 2 time NY State champ & perhaps he will finally consider doing something different to leave his mark at Lehigh.

So that is the answer to drd about why fans cannot leave this alone. There hopefully is a chance to fill a gap at 165 & Logan is an obvious option in addition to Mays.
HFO

Post by HFO » Fri May 19, 2023 6:58 pm

JAD77 wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 5:24 pm
Oracle wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 1:20 pm "It has to do better in that area when guys appear in portal. This means understanding the landscape of what weights, expectations of R12 guys likely to hit portal, majors and potential grad school programs to sell them on whether M.S. Technical Entrepreneursip, Masters in Management or whatever. Then day they hit you have a packet of material sent to them of degrees they might apply for, a money/scholarship/GA/TA package and where you see them starting at a weight."
HFO: I don't think you posted anything outlandish overall, except for this.
We can't praise Pat for Beard and Samuelson one year and then smack them down this year. Plus it's not over yet.
So far, we signed Hunter Meys at a weight where we had a big need. That's "understanding the landscape," is it not?
Wasn't it Denny that posted about Samuelson's comments at the Lewis Wrestling Dinner? Tate said that almost immediately after entering the portal Zach Rey contacted him, and he was the first school to do so. Doesn't sound to me like they are sleeping on potential transfers. However HFO, I'm sure the coaching staff will appreciate some advice from you in how to do their jobs :lol:
The wise are always open to hearing. Did we do as well as Michigan? Room for improvement? Were we a Top 10 team? How many AA and National Champions? Does the program have enough money?

Do what you always did, get what you always got.

This program has been flat for quite a few years. As I stated, Hughes likely part of the secret sauce of getting things done in the minds of wrestlers in the room.

Time for more hearing. Less ignoring. A common theme at LEHIGH these days.
drd5748

Post by drd5748 » Fri May 19, 2023 7:20 pm

Just so we realize that the full size staff of 4 (+LVWC) that we have knows everything we know before we we think it

Which doesn''t prevent as fans us from pounding sand as long as as hard as we can, as free speech

Where are the Beach Boys !?
HFO

Post by HFO » Fri May 19, 2023 7:37 pm

Legs and power half is confidence and feel...similar to Letters crab ride and turns or Trenge's Turk. Doto rode hard, but maybe did not get all the results of falls or back points as Humphreys. Not everyone can do it. Some are hammers on top like Mike Brown.

Others are like Cuvo and Burley who were TD machines. Scott Turner and Jim Detrixhe were about the two most impossible wrestlers to score on I have ever seen. Thad, Crusher and Detrixhe were among best 3 in a lineup as Lehigh has ever had and 2 of them were blue bloods and the other from up near Jersey Shore.

I don't know that Lehigh has ever been a system school and I've gone to matches since late 1930s. Iowa under Gable was a system school. You wrestled and trained his system. Hit the weights. Build incredible endurance. Push and maul your opponent from neutral and don't give an inch. Be impossible to score on. Ride and punish from top. Get out immediately and repeat that abuse on your opponent. Keep repeating.

The State Champions are in the room...it's about taking the next big step. This is where that key assistant coach is critical. Pat internally was always competitive even when he didn't have the big results at Becahi like his teammates. The right mix of coaches draws that out of wrestlers. Hughes was that guy. Blair has always had that mix of guys. Lehigh currently doesn't have that one extra coach making that difference in middleweights.

Kerry/Zach getting it done at 197+
125 - 141 have developed well past 5+ years. The middle is a mixed bag of results and personally I thought it's been the best recruited for past 6 -10 years.

Lost guys like Elliott Riddick, Ed Ruth and some others. 2x State Champs of Logan and Lawrence just never came to elite results yet in college? There were years Lehigh had to utilize backups for an entire season.

I think before Humphreys the last 149 to 165 All American was Mitch Minotti 8 years ago and he got bumped out of EIWA his senior year.

Any AA next year like to be 141 and below or 197 and above. Need that special coach for that middle.
Any #
HFO

Post by HFO » Fri May 19, 2023 7:38 pm

drd5748 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 7:20 pm Just so we realize that the full size staff of 4 (+LVWC) that we have knows everything we know before we we think it

Which doesn''t prevent as fans us from pounding sand as long as as hard as we can, as free speech

Where are the Beach Boys !?
With a mind like that it is no wonder you had limited success as a Lehigh grad.