Rule Changes

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
NothingMeaningful

Re: Rule Changes

Post by NothingMeaningful » Wed May 03, 2023 9:40 am

JAD77 wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 8:12 pm Not looking things up, but I would bet that early on Humphreys was taken down as frequently as he scored a takedown. He was always a beast on top, so that made up for a lot. He definitely improved in neutral. Never became a takedown machine, but after his redshirt he scored a lot more takedowns - and most importantly - he became much tougher to score a takedown on. We can all agree the majority of his points were scored on the mat, but mainly due to his huge improvement in neutral, he came within a whisker (and you can't tell me that wasn't an escape - where the hell does the rulebook say you have to turn and face your opponent) of making the finals.

He also didn't need to score a ton of takedowns, because once he got one, he was pretty much staying put.

Just the opposite of Jordan Kutler, who WAS a takedown machine, but rarely rode an opponent or scored back points.

Two different styles, both of them were/are studs.

That said, I think Klehner's post was pretty innocuous.
Because I have time, and because Flo makes it easy, I did look it up, at least at the four EIWA tournaments Humphreys wrestled:

Freshman: 7 offensive, 2 defensive
Sophomore: 9 offensive, 0 defensive
Junior: 9 offensive, 1 defensive
Senior: 7 ofensive, 1 defensive

Maybe it's a biased sample, since about half of his opponents in the EIWA tournament would be considered pretty weak, so perhaps during the dual season he faced some stiffer competition and gave up more TDs. Just some more Humphreys-hating data.

As for "and you can't tell me that wasn't an escape - where the hell does the rulebook say you have to turn and face your opponent": when a wrestler goes optional start, it seems like the defensive wrestler isn't given an escape until he does turn around. IIRC, if the offensive guy has even one hand on the bottom guy, no escape is given. You'll see guys crawling away, but riding time continues. Which is interesting, because the rulebook says "A defensive wrestler is awarded an escape when the offensive wrestler loses
control of the opponent while any part of either wrestler remains in bounds." I guess the referees are trained such that the offensive wrestler still has control until the defensive wrestler turns around and/or creates a meaningful gap between the two?

Oracle

Post by Oracle » Wed May 03, 2023 10:28 am

Not sure this obsession over Humphreys TD improvement -- or in your mind, lack thereof.

To most, if not all, of us, the improvement is based on his new found leg attacks the past 2 years. Prior to that, he relied on a strange maneuver I could never understand -- a 'merkle=type' move. But it did work mostly due to his enormous power. So, yes, he took a lot of guys down with that, but it was less effective against the better competition. As evidenced this past March, he shot and finished from space. This showed his improvement to most of us. Scoring on really good guys with a leg attack. I can't exp[lain it any better than this. Feel free to post more of
your stats.
Mountain Hawk

Post by Mountain Hawk » Wed May 03, 2023 11:27 am

So much negativity on the board. Must be stopped!