June 2-4 Freestyle

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
Oracle

Re: June 2-4 Freestyle

Post by Oracle » Sun Jun 04, 2023 4:04 pm

Really nice recruiting class coming in the fall -- no need to question leadership publicly without recognizing that fact as well. Even if a coaching change was on the radar, a guy like Pat Santoro deserves to be treated respectfully. He's earned that.

I'm in the camp that believes Santoro brings more to the party than the University does. You all know my feelings on this and how I believe Wrestling should be treated.

legger

Post by legger » Sun Jun 04, 2023 4:56 pm

**** I will take Oracle’s comments one step farther: 1) Pat is a great coach who some posters need to value a lot more, 2) the university needs to stop worrying about appearing Woke and take the $ currently being spent on diversity and inclusion and commit those funds to attracting some whales by use of NIL possibilities, like some of the Power 5 schools are doing. We as a university are way behind the curve in what it is possible to do to bring in top talent. Just one man’s opinion
whiz wit

Post by whiz wit » Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:21 pm

Pat Santoro is a very nice guy and a very good coach - but not the right man at this time. I would guess that for many top high school kids, this is not an attractive venue. Kind of living off past glories and no present day excitement.

Just look at the participants on this site. How many under age 50? 60? The crowd at a home dual looks a little like the grey haired attendees at a concert of classical music or at an opera. Rutgers, for example, attracts a much younger crowd and I think they bring in about 6k for a home meet.

I know that some people on this site are heavily invested in the program. But like with financial investments, when things haven't been going well for quite some time and the future doesn't promise much more, it's time to move on.
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:30 pm

The way you laid out your opinions was quite thoughtful. And respectful, which I appreciate.

No one wanted to see Greg Strobel replaced, but it was time. LU found a meaningful position for him and he was taken care of. When some wrestling supporters approached Pat (who was head coach at Maryland and being treated very well) about taking over for Greg, he was adamant that Greg be in the loop. That's integrity and class. Pat was loyal to Greg and would do nothing behind his back.

I've no idea what the plans are. Maybe Pat is ready to step down, who knows? If he does, Brad Dillon has been his loyal #2 since they were at Maryland.....perhaps he gets the nod? One thing's for certain: Lehigh has to sign more District 11 talent. It's as plain as the noise on your face. LU recruits their backyard more efficiently, they re-establish a new Golden Era.
Mountain Hawk

Post by Mountain Hawk » Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:48 pm

Asa Packer wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:55 pm
As the newly minted moderator, I'll share something my manager emphasized to me many years ago: "Neutral or positive remarks only"
Could be a short reign for you.
HFO

Post by HFO » Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:09 am

Mountain Hawk wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:48 pm
As the newly minted moderator, I'll share something my manager emphasized to me many years ago: "Neutral or positive remarks only"
Sounds like DOD. Seems for years DOD cannot take anything but neutral and positive remarks. Critique and counter examination is a policy of excellence in an organization. The counter is a degrading myopic organization.
Asa Packer

Post by Asa Packer » Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:34 am

HFO wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:09 am
Mountain Hawk wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:48 pm
Sounds like DOD. Seems for years DOD cannot take anything but neutral and positive remarks. Critique and counter examination is a policy of excellence in an organization. The counter is a degrading myopic organization.
Haha. I was trying to be humorous, but can see why it didn't read that way. So, I'll give you another chance before you're banned for speaking ill of the moderator. (SARCASM)