Vito

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
FloridaGuy

Re: Vito

Post by FloridaGuy » Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:35 am

>>>>>>>>>>Isn’t it great that Lehigh has a freshman that is legitimately in the mix to win the 133 NCAA title———a weight with a world champ and other top quality guys like Fix.

I expect Vito, as a world champ, to remain extremely confident in his ability to defend his NCAA title. At the same time, Crookham knows he’s capable of winning. The odds may be against Crookham defeating a world champ three times in one year, but it sure makes for some great wrestling and a really interesting EIWAs and NCAAs.

1/2NELSON

Post by 1/2NELSON » Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:51 pm

>>>> MS states.. "I'm more concerned about Daton Fix who looks fresher this season and motivated to get his championship (midlife crisis is a powerful thing)." Cute, I like that,.. and happen to agree.

Like the rest of you guys, I'm anxiously awaiting the much anticipated EIWA final at 133LBS., but wouldn't be the least bit surprised that if Vito's performance up-till-then is found "wanting", the MF might be the smart choice. And of course that'll PISS-OFF all the GREY-HAIR,,.. as he was AWOL for the dual meet as well! :oops: Believe Mekhi Lewis took that route in ACC tourney a few years ago, qualifying nonetheless,.. but ultimately bowing out to injury at NCAA anyway. :cry:

Lots of HYPE surrounding our star-pupil Crookham, whom if he remains healthy(always a priority), has a legitimate shot at a TITLE. However, all things considered right now,.. FIX appears the bigger challenge. :roll:
HFO

Post by HFO » Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:57 pm

gimpeltf wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:33 am Ryan didn't wrestle Jr year or Sr year until state duals.
He didn't wrestle much last year either.
That is correct. He had ongoing injury. So even for us who have seen him wrestle since District 11 Jr High Championships, how prepared he has been this year is even a surprise.

Haubert was a PIAA State Champion, but had an injury his senior year of high school and was never the same.

There has been a history of elite Lehigh wrestlers where injuries were overcome or they just had to stop. Tommy Rohn, Mike Pirozzola and list goes on.

As for Journeyman, the tape was on Crookham's side on what to expect. Then you have to wrestle.

Now there is tape for both sides and what to expect. If they meet up, it should be one heck of match to call on air.

I
JAD77

Post by JAD77 » Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:55 pm

martinsilvestri wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:45 am I'm more concerned about Daton Fix who looks fresher this season and motivated to get his championship (midlife crisis is a powerful thing).
Love the midlife crisis comment :lol:
I respectfully disagree though. Fix is a more "traditional" wrestler than Vito - he's strong and in your face. Think that plays to Ryan's strengths and that he can handle that. Vito is the enigma. He is so incredibly quick and innovative that you just never know what is coming. It all depends on which Vito shows up - the one who beat Glory at the 2022 EIWA's by a score of 19-6, or the one who showed up two weeks later and lost to Glory by 13-5. The one who beat RBY in Tulsa 10-4, or the one who needed 2 last second takedowns last week against Moore of Missouri. I think if it's the first Vito - no one in college beats him.
mookie

Post by mookie » Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:10 pm

LUEngineer

Post by LUEngineer » Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:21 pm

Great link post mookie!! Very impressive indeed. Haven’t seen the strong riding atlehigh that we saw in these high school matches.
Mountain Hawk

Post by Mountain Hawk » Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:42 am

Lose the EIWA final and you get Fix in the semis. Win it and Vito meets Fix in a semi.
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Sat Feb 03, 2024 12:46 pm

Or RC loses to Vito and maybe NCAA gives Fix the first seed as he is likely undefeated. Or maybe Ragusin goes undefeated and gets the number 2 seed.
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:35 pm

martinsilvestri wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:29 am
whiz wit wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:11 am The Cornell coaching staff doesn't prepare its wrestlers or require its wrestlers to prepare for likely opponents in a dual meet against a good team?
there's preparation and there's preparation. until the journeyman tournament, nobody saw Crookham as that kind of threat. was he studying tape on Ryan and developing a strategy the way he did against RBY and against Magomedov? i doubt it.

if people really did their homework they could identify Crookham's danger from his high school career, but my guess is Vito and Grey felt they had bigger fish to fry, until they didn't. Crookham will need to prepare for the rematch to be a war - and i bet he is.
Vito in the interview said he did not review tape of Crookham, and actually implied that he didn't do 'that much' planning for his opponent, just worries about himself. Also made a comment about "being in college 7 or 8 years" (?!)
1/2NELSON

Post by 1/2NELSON » Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:49 pm

The WAY he just dominated Fix, and RBY last season was just phenomenal, and somewhat reminiscent of Mekhi Lewis's run thru Marinelli, and Joseph four years ago. However he's had a few speed-bumps this year in the form of our own phenom, Ryan Crookham, and evidently some un-disclosed health issues. EIWA will bear testament to his well-being, and capability to repeat his OW performance of a year ago. :roll:

Very well done candid interview following his winning of NCAA title, and his mindset going forward per his Free-Style acumen. Ironically he wins his 1st World Championship this past summer! :o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_olCBa4uaYc