Columbia Head Coach Opening

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
HFO

Re: Columbia Head Coach Opening

Post by HFO » Sun May 05, 2024 11:55 am

Justafan wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:00 pm "If you're a Lehigh grad, what year?"

1975 and 1979

You would think that cheesesteaks would have it's own thread by now :-)
Nobody has mastered how to pin a continuous topic at the top of the discussion board. First 2 should be, PARTICIPATING IN LEHIGH WRESTLING, #2 Best Cheesesteaks.

Getting back to cheesesteaks. A few years ago when driving cross country to my old home in Wyoming, i stopped off highway on I-65 to this place called Mt. Hood Pizza and Grill in a small Indiana college town of Rensselaer, IN.
With my daughter and son-in-law, so being from PA originally, I see he has cheesesteak. My experience is I never had anything that resembled a real cheesesteak west of Harrisburg, PA. So we order a large pizza and a cheesteak for us to at least sample, but we were expecting to have to chuck it, give previously times along the highway in OH and the old RAX Restaurant chain of a slab of meat and a slice of cheese on top.

Order comes out, it looks like a Philly Cheesesteak with onions, peppers and mushroom, even provolone cheese. We eat the pizza and it is out of this world. So I asked the young owner, maybe in his late 30s or early 40s come over. I tell him I have to ask him two questions: 1) Why Mt. Hood Pizza in the flatlands of farming Indiana? 2) Where the hell did you learn to make an authenticate cheesesteak.

He tells me he grew up in the town. When he graduated college, he worked in Elkhart, IN in the RV business, specifically running rails for truck customization. He was in sales. There was slowdown in economy and lost his job. He always dreamed of seeing mountains and being a big former LB in college football, he went west to take a job as a trainee lumberjack in Oregon forests. After a couple of years doing that man work, he rethought his career options and took at job at Mt. Hood, OR resort as a waiter. He met another young guy from South Philly, Italian kid, and they opened up a pizza delivery business off the front porch of their cabin they rented with an electric pizza oven. The Philly kid came from a family that ran a pizza joint in South Philly. After a year, they save enough and rented some storespace and ran a restaurant for a few years and hence the addition of the Cheesesteak to Mt. Hood, OR. They both eventually got married and made their way back to where they grew up.

So the menu on the website of Mt. Hood Pizza in IN is the same as it was when they had the porch operation and then the small little storefront Pizza place in Mt. Hood, OR. So, still Mr. Hood Pizza.

So if you are ever riding down from Chicago toward Indianapolis, after Merrillville, IN/Crown Point, IN the last of the Chicagoland suburbs in Indiana, you start hitting the exits for these small farming towns, of which Rensselaer is one of them. They used to have a small Catholic college there, St. Joseph's University (IN), but now defunct. The kid's father was former Associate Head Football Coach, but his father died at a young age when the young man was only about 8 years old.

On the road, I do like to meet real Americans and hear their stories. Hard working kid. Cheesesteak can rival the well knows of Pat's, Gino's, Jim's of South Philly. It was a pleasant surprise.

HFO

Post by HFO » Sun May 05, 2024 11:55 am

Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Sun May 05, 2024 12:18 pm

HFO wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 11:36 am
Richb-3 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:07 pm University of Phoenix?
Strayer University?

LOL?
You find that funny that someone seeks an education and that enough of them get jobs that it outranks other schools. Yes, they are likely getter lower level jobs, but nonetheless, they are getting jobs as college graduates.

Let me educate you up on a few local guys from the greater Lehigh Valley and then compare your CV to theirs.

Pat Gelsinger, graduated H.S. age 16, enrolled at Lincoln Tech. Worked for 2 years as electronics technician for my friend John Walson, the founder of cable tv, at Channel 69/Service Electric in Allentown. At age 18, with the education and skills learned at Service Electric, he got hired by Intel. Coming from a modest family, he leveraged that education, the money he earned, and went to college part-time at Santa Clara for BS Electrical Engineering and MS Stanford in Electrical Engineering by age 25. So from lowly Lincoln Tech with 9 years work experience, he accelerated his career doing double duty. Age 26, he wrote one of first books on programming 80386 processor. Age 28, he was project head of development of 80486 processor. Age 32, youngest VP at Intel in history of company. Became right hand man to Andy Grove. Age 39 became Chief Technology Officer. Hired away by EMC became President & CEO. 3 years later VMware hired him away and he grew it from 200 people to 20,000 people. 2021 Intel hired him back as CEO. Averaged over $30 million per year at his time at VMware. Paid over $200 million thus far by Intel.

Carl Eschenback, East Stroudsburg, PA. Education: 1 year at Bloomsburg University of PA. Certificate in Electronics from DeVry University, Worked as electronics technician and then technology sales. Former partner Sequoia Capital, current CEO of WorkDay, Board of directors of Palo Alto Networks, Inc., and has previously served as a member of the board of directors of Aurora Innovation, Inc., Snowflake, Inc., UiPath, Inc., and Zoom Video Communications, Inc. when he was investment partner and these companies were in his portfolio responsibility.
Prior to VMware, he held various sales leadership positions at 3Com, Lucent, Inktomi and EMC. Net Worth: +$3 billion
https://www.benzinga.com/sec/insider-tr ... eschenbach

Academic elitism is not an admirable quality. The quality of engaging in a life path of education and contribution to society it is regardless of where you begin your education. Attitudes of elitism is why recruiters DO PASS UP highly educated people from so called elite universities.

I would trade the attitudes of a Pat or Carl for anyone who comes out of an Ivy League or Patriot League college. Same thing I did when I screened Resident applications and then have them sit in front of me. I needed to know are they committed to the profession of serving others, committed to doing the work and wanted indicators of where they began in life and how they got to their current status and where they intended to go in life.

I do not laugh at any college graduate. I dig deeper into what do they know and what can the contribute. Where you start does not matter, where you finish does. We need more American success stories like Pat Gelsinger and Carl Eschenbach. They remind me of my lowly beginnings on a Blue Mountain farm in Schuylkill County in 1924 and the struggles of the Depression. Lehigh to me was equivalent to winning the lottery in my era when I graduated HS at age 16 and was admitted on scholarship. It was MIT, Carnegie Tech and Lehigh in that era. Caltech was known, but it was not quite the institution it is now. I was not unique back then. Lehigh was men of success at the high school level nationally and the vast majority of us were there on scholarship. It was not the parking ground of elite parents of the megaopolis that it has become now. There were a few who paid full tuition, but that was rarity to be from a wealthy family back in 1940.

On we go...the work to reform Lehigh continues. The elitism. Lack of a competitive strategy. Getting back to research and academic scholarship output. Improving the employability of students. Getting the most merit based students into the school as possible.
It is simple. A huge percentage of the students who cannot repay college loans attended For Profit colleges.

https://www.newyorkfed.org/medialibrary ... /sr811.pdf
HFO

Post by HFO » Sun May 05, 2024 12:37 pm

Richb-3 wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 12:18 pm
HFO wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 11:36 am
Richb-3 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:07 pm University of Phoenix?
Strayer University?

LOL?
You find that funny that someone seeks an education and that enough of them get jobs that it outranks other schools. Yes, they are likely getter lower level jobs, but nonetheless, they are getting jobs as college graduates.

Let me educate you up on a few local guys from the greater Lehigh Valley and then compare your CV to theirs.

Pat Gelsinger, graduated H.S. age 16, enrolled at Lincoln Tech. Worked for 2 years as electronics technician for my friend John Walson, the founder of cable tv, at Channel 69/Service Electric in Allentown. At age 18, with the education and skills learned at Service Electric, he got hired by Intel. Coming from a modest family, he leveraged that education, the money he earned, and went to college part-time at Santa Clara for BS Electrical Engineering and MS Stanford in Electrical Engineering by age 25. So from lowly Lincoln Tech with 9 years work experience, he accelerated his career doing double duty. Age 26, he wrote one of first books on programming 80386 processor. Age 28, he was project head of development of 80486 processor. Age 32, youngest VP at Intel in history of company. Became right hand man to Andy Grove. Age 39 became Chief Technology Officer. Hired away by EMC became President & CEO. 3 years later VMware hired him away and he grew it from 200 people to 20,000 people. 2021 Intel hired him back as CEO. Averaged over $30 million per year at his time at VMware. Paid over $200 million thus far by Intel.

Carl Eschenback, East Stroudsburg, PA. Education: 1 year at Bloomsburg University of PA. Certificate in Electronics from DeVry University, Worked as electronics technician and then technology sales. Former partner Sequoia Capital, current CEO of WorkDay, Board of directors of Palo Alto Networks, Inc., and has previously served as a member of the board of directors of Aurora Innovation, Inc., Snowflake, Inc., UiPath, Inc., and Zoom Video Communications, Inc. when he was investment partner and these companies were in his portfolio responsibility.
Prior to VMware, he held various sales leadership positions at 3Com, Lucent, Inktomi and EMC. Net Worth: +$3 billion
https://www.benzinga.com/sec/insider-tr ... eschenbach

Academic elitism is not an admirable quality. The quality of engaging in a life path of education and contribution to society it is regardless of where you begin your education. Attitudes of elitism is why recruiters DO PASS UP highly educated people from so called elite universities.

I would trade the attitudes of a Pat or Carl for anyone who comes out of an Ivy League or Patriot League college. Same thing I did when I screened Resident applications and then have them sit in front of me. I needed to know are they committed to the profession of serving others, committed to doing the work and wanted indicators of where they began in life and how they got to their current status and where they intended to go in life.

I do not laugh at any college graduate. I dig deeper into what do they know and what can the contribute. Where you start does not matter, where you finish does. We need more American success stories like Pat Gelsinger and Carl Eschenbach. They remind me of my lowly beginnings on a Blue Mountain farm in Schuylkill County in 1924 and the struggles of the Depression. Lehigh to me was equivalent to winning the lottery in my era when I graduated HS at age 16 and was admitted on scholarship. It was MIT, Carnegie Tech and Lehigh in that era. Caltech was known, but it was not quite the institution it is now. I was not unique back then. Lehigh was men of success at the high school level nationally and the vast majority of us were there on scholarship. It was not the parking ground of elite parents of the megaopolis that it has become now. There were a few who paid full tuition, but that was rarity to be from a wealthy family back in 1940.

On we go...the work to reform Lehigh continues. The elitism. Lack of a competitive strategy. Getting back to research and academic scholarship output. Improving the employability of students. Getting the most merit based students into the school as possible.
It is simple. A huge percentage of the students who cannot repay college loans attended For Profit colleges.

https://www.newyorkfed.org/medialibrary ... /sr811.pdf
Yes, 20 years ago it was Apollo of Phoenix, AZ, now it is others, including the Art Institute chain, but unfortunately they are duped by heavy marketing, but enough students did do the work and got hired. It is changing as now more legitimate schools get into the online delivery of education including Lehigh. Majors matter on ability to eventually repay loans. When you look at default rates by major, it becomes less about the individual schools and more about the employment prospects by major.

For profit may be less favorable in the US, but it is the norm in Asia. Most colleges are owned by elite families in each country. The concept of alumni gifts and endowments is only a recent phenomenon for Asia.

I concur on the knock of for-profit, there are abuses, over priced for what they deliver, but there are success stories when the faculty run a good program in an employable major. When the incentive model is that you need Pell Grants and government insured student loans for revenue, then you get the abuse of just brining in as many students as possible, regardless of whether they are prepared for college or not. Unfortunately, for many first generation college students, they do not have the counsel or potentially the ability and these were their only options.

I always tell young people. Consider the military. Grow a bit into an adult. Take GI Bill, start at community college and major in something that is tough where credits will transfer, mathematics, biology, chemistry, physics. Then find a 4 year college, use the rest of your GI Bill money and hopefully other scholarship money and major in something that will get you employed. Then work, maybe do grad school part time. Then when you have worked 5 years, reassess what you want out of life around 30 years old. If you find out that your really didn't want to be a chemical engineer, at least you may be debt free, you have years of work and leadership experience and there will likely be opportunities for a lateral shift into an endeavor that you truly choose to commit your adult life.

The worst thing to do is just float aimlessly through life. Which I see all too often with young people. Generally not an option in past America when you lived a shorter life, there was less wealth and the average person was less educated.

So yes, there are faults of For Profit universities, not all, but enough of them. However, the list of defunct non-profit colleges in the US history is well over 1000. Colleges come and go for a lot of reasons, principally, they do not educate their students up to a competitive level!
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Sun May 05, 2024 8:00 pm

There have been people who sold all they own to by lottery tickets. And won,

Very few people.

So of course some people who went to for profits have been success.
HFO

Post by HFO » Sun May 05, 2024 10:46 pm

Richb-3 wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 8:00 pm There have been people who sold all they own to by lottery tickets. And won,

Very few people.

It was 10,000s of thousands of jobs at Fortune 500. A little bit more than some people. Lehigh is lucky if we now place 200 grads per year in Fortune 500 jobs. Lottery ticket should be part of anyone's investment portfolio. The $1 Expected Payoff statistically at 1 in about 250 million is very small, but nonetheless itis a fat payoff tail event for somebody.

Again, for-profit universities may not be in the lexicon of the American way, but it is the way of more than half the population of the world and especially in Asia where universities are for-profit and typically family owned. If done, well, it matters not whether it is for profit or non-profit, either way you have to take in more money than you spend.

Vanguard is a non-profit asset manager. Trust me, they make a profit, but cost savings go to the investor. What they do take from making a profit is paid out to their employees in a "partnership unit" structure based on your years of service and pay grade on their grids. I know some people who have been there since John Bogle founded it in 1975. Their "units" payouts are pretty substantial. Moral of the story is that for-profit or non-profit, if you are strategically in the game for the long-term success you do what is right for the client. Not educating someone and just pocking the money is just strategically stupid and unethical and morally wrong, and those that do it will find themselves on the wrong side of history and in front of the law for defrauding their clients, in the case of some of these institutions, their students and the banks and US government that provided the funds.
lu_alum

Post by lu_alum » Mon May 06, 2024 6:42 pm

HFO wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 10:46 pm
Richb-3 wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 8:00 pm There have been people who sold all they own to by lottery tickets. And won,

Very few people.

It was 10,000s of thousands of jobs at Fortune 500.
10,000s of thousands…
I’d like to think I’m a pretty smart guy, but I’m having difficulty understanding what this means.
martinsilvestri

Post by martinsilvestri » Fri May 17, 2024 7:54 pm

another ivy coach BAILS - penn's pearsall goes west with the taylor gang
Justafan

Post by Justafan » Fri May 17, 2024 9:02 pm

martinsilvestri wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 7:54 pm another ivy coach BAILS - penn's pearsall goes west with the taylor gang
I think Mark Hall went to Oklahoma.
martinsilvestri

Post by martinsilvestri » Fri May 17, 2024 10:34 pm

Justafan wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 9:02 pm
martinsilvestri wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 7:54 pm another ivy coach BAILS - penn's pearsall goes west with the taylor gang
I think Mark Hall went to Oklahoma.
indeed... to be clear that is OK not OK St... but that also happened
Last edited by martinsilvestri on Sat May 18, 2024 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.