Building on Success

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
D3 for LU

Re: Building on Success

Post by D3 for LU » Tue May 07, 2024 9:44 am

fify...

D3

Sir, a pint of you finest ale, please!
Never argue with an idiot... he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Tue May 07, 2024 10:45 am

Well-done D3!!!
Spladle1989

Post by Spladle1989 » Tue May 07, 2024 11:03 am

I would think there is a good chance Barraclough goes to OK State now if they want/need him.........same with other big names in portal that fit their needs......OK State will want to make a splash in his first year and they have deep pockets.......
Justafan

Post by Justafan » Tue May 07, 2024 11:24 am

Spladle1989 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 11:03 am I would think there is a good chance Barraclough goes to OK State now if they want/need him.........same with other big names in portal that fit their needs......OK State will want to make a splash in his first year and they have deep pockets.......
Certainly seems plausible. The sands continue to shift.
Mountain Hawk

Post by Mountain Hawk » Tue May 07, 2024 12:38 pm

Spladle1989 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 11:03 am I would think there is a good chance Barraclough goes to OK State now if they want/need him.........same with other big names in portal that fit their needs......OK State will want to make a splash in his first year and they have deep pockets.......
Great insight here. I mean is there a better example of deep pocketed alumni driving the bus on athletics than T Boone Pickens and OkSt. Half the campus is named after him. If I were DT I would want to know the level of outside financial resources committed to wrestling. He will absolutely want to start his tenure with the best team money can buy and build from there. He'll get whatever he needs.
lu_alum

Post by lu_alum » Tue May 07, 2024 11:25 pm

Mountain Hawk wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 12:38 pm
Great insight here. I mean is there a better example of deep pocketed alumni driving the bus on athletics than T Boone Pickens and OkSt. Half the campus is named after him. If I were DT I would want to know the level of outside financial resources committed to wrestling. He will absolutely want to start his tenure with the best team money can buy and build from there. He'll get whatever he needs.
If he plans to pick Pickens' deep pockets, it will have to be from the foundation. Pickens' died nearly five years ago.
https://www.stwnewspress.com/news/t-boo ... %20Tuesday
Mountain Hawk

Post by Mountain Hawk » Wed May 08, 2024 3:20 am

Just the interest on his OKST gift is $6mm/yr. (Conservatively). They’ll get who they need
LUEngineer

Post by LUEngineer » Wed May 08, 2024 8:53 am

Does Ok St need a 165 pounder?

I would not rule out that this wrestler wants to go somewhere that values the student part of Student athlete. Lehigh is a totally different world than the wrestling factories that don’t want their athletes spending time in the classroom!!

I give us a decent shot here for a one year rental with a kid that would like a Lehigh degree on his resume. It’s not always just about the money.
LUEngineer

Post by LUEngineer » Wed May 08, 2024 8:59 am

My prior post was before I saw the David Taylor announcement

Ouch!!! Penn State link really changes that ballgame.
Mountain Hawk

Post by Mountain Hawk » Wed May 08, 2024 9:41 am

LUEngineer wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 8:53 am Does Ok St need a 165 pounder?

I would not rule out that this wrestler wants to go somewhere that values the student part of Student athlete. Lehigh is a totally different world than the wrestling factories that don’t want their athletes spending time in the classroom!!

I give us a decent shot here for a one year rental with a kid that would like a Lehigh degree on his resume. It’s not always just about the money.
You're presuming the Lehigh degree holds a higher value in the wrestler's mind than a degree anywhere else they could wrestle. It may not ALWAYS be about the money but these days it almost always is.