Villanova

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
RichH

Villanova

Post by RichH » Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:28 pm

He'll of an opener. :shock: ;) Nova returns 3 starters on D. A bunch of lettermen tho and grad transfers.
O returns top 4 RBs. A new QB, a senior with his first start.

lfnadmin

Re: Villanova

Post by lfnadmin » Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:47 am

Posted my Lehigh season preview here. I don't know if the early season will show it because it's so tough, but overall I really, really have liked what I've seen this August.

https://www.college-sports-journal.com/ ... ears-wins/

There is also something that feels different about this group than those of the last few years – a feeling that maybe, just maybe, the program is on the verge of turning a corner.
RichH

Post by RichH » Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:25 pm

Game notes up.
Passarelli must be dinged . Not on 2 deep. OL lineup is ...surprising. Silbor at 2 behind Perri.
Jamiel starting at WR. Fields not listed?
D lineup presents a much different look. Starters and veterans throughout the 2 deep.
Go Lehigh TU Owl

Post by Go Lehigh TU Owl » Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:36 pm

The schedule is tough but a solid, competent (dare I say good?) FCS team should be able to scratch out a winning record and be generally VERY competitive. With that said, I think Villanova wins "rather easily" if their QB avoids mistakes and proves to be "Nova good". Ferrente has done what many thought was impossible; continue Wildcat football at the Talley level. While they lost a ton of talent and experience they are simply able to reload on the Mainline due to their commitment to the program. They along with Holy Cross and Delaware figure to battle it out for a seed in the Northeast/Mid-Atlantic

Ultimately it all comes down to the coaches ability to put the players in the position to succeed. This is where I have zero faith in Gilmore, Brisson and the rest of the staff. The great thing is, this is the year without excuses. Win or please be gone.....
Sundayamqb

Post by Sundayamqb » Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:27 pm

One thing that stands out to me is the size of our LBs -- 230 to 250!

They've been undersized for a while. This brings back memories of Groome & Co., tough against the run.

Defenses win championships.
LUopa

Post by LUopa » Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:20 pm

Gents-
32.5 point spread for Friday. 47-3 last year and they were being very kind to us in 2nd half. I hope we can keep our expectations in check. Less summer injuries, coaching staff and players seem more fired up are great signs. Georgetown next week is a much better game in my eyes....
RichH

Post by RichH » Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:36 pm

Odd note I spotted last night. Passarelli while still listed on LU site is not listed at all on game note roster. No idea as to significance. It may be nothing,I hope. That seems unlikely tho. :shock:
Go Lehigh TU Owl

Post by Go Lehigh TU Owl » Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:40 pm

LUopa wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:20 pm Gents-
32.5 point spread for Friday. 47-3 last year and they were being very kind to us in 2nd half. I hope we can keep our expectations in check. Less summer injuries, coaching staff and players seem more fired up are great signs. Georgetown next week is a much better game in my eyes....
Holy Cross went toe-to-toe with Villanova for four quarters back in November. There needs to be a significant improvement. The status-quo, another 30+ point loss, would be a horrible sign of things to come. I simply will not align my thinking that Georgetown is a better barometer or more competitive game given the Hoyas overall ineptitude as a program. That absolutely cannot be a measuring stick for Lehigh football!

It's time to get this program back to regional relevancy and then national viability. If Gilmore can't do it get his butt out of here and hire someone (like Chesney) who can!
mookie

Post by mookie » Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:15 pm

At least people aren't screaming for Cecchini. Chesney...Kenny? Lehigh will beat Nova by 10.
Go Lehigh TU Owl

Post by Go Lehigh TU Owl » Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:49 pm

Villanova 17 Lehigh 0 12:33 2Q

Far too predictable terrible start given the "Gilmore Factor". Nothing has changed. The question now is can they score their first TD against an OOC opponent since 2019?