Hawk Talk #3

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
Spladle1989

Re: Hawk Talk #3

Post by Spladle1989 » Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:40 pm

Interesting no one comments on the post above concerning very possible decision on no more partial scholarships.....to me that is a huge change for a school like Lehigh with its large costs attached to attending.....seems like it would greatly reduce roster size and you damn better hit/get lucky with the health and ability of the wrestlers you chose to give your full rides to.....

Chico

Post by Chico » Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:39 pm

Spladle1989 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:40 pm Interesting no one comments on the post above concerning very possible decision on no more partial scholarships.....to me that is a huge change for a school like Lehigh with its large costs attached to attending.....seems like it would greatly reduce roster size and you damn better hit/get lucky with the health and ability of the wrestlers you chose to give your full rides to.....
I agree.
It feels like the scholarship changes will have huge effects. Not only for the smaller programs but where does that leave wrestlers good enough to get partial money but not good enough for full scholarship. Where do they end up? Hope great caring is used in deciding.
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:49 pm

IMO, the reason is hasn't passed is because only football and basketball are unaffected. Virtually every other sport gives partials. Wrestling has 9.9. If they do away with partials, then they would have to increase the number of full rides to at last 20, more like 25. Same would hold for most other sports. Would also have to give the head coach the ability to pull them as well.
gimpeltf

Post by gimpeltf » Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:13 pm

Let's be careful thinking the NIL will continue to be a place alums/boosters can make a slush fund like the old days. The concept got dumped on the NCAA midseason by court case. I've seen an article from before the season saying the NCAA will be looking to prevent indiscriminate payments like some of these are now. The intent of the concept was to allow athletes to make basically advertising money by using their likenesses from real companies (Nike/adidas/etc) There was no intent, to my knowledge, to have it used to induce kids to specific schools.
Right now it is the wild west, though.
Mountain Hawk

Post by Mountain Hawk » Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:21 pm

gimpeltf wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:13 pm Let's be careful thinking the NIL will continue to be a place alums/boosters can make a slush fund like the old days. The concept got dumped on the NCAA midseason by court case. I've seen an article from before the season saying the NCAA will be looking to prevent indiscriminate payments like some of these are now. The intent of the concept was to allow athletes to make basically advertising money by using their likenesses from real companies (Nike/adidas/etc) There was no intent, to my knowledge, to have it used to induce kids to specific schools.
Right now it is the wild west, though.
The NCAA has seen this one coming for a long time and at this point, they hanging on as the sanctioning body by a thread. Too much money in football and hoops now and if they do too much to regulate these big state football teams (with presumably a school attached) they will just break away from the NCAA and form their own superleagues and make their own rules. This was always coming after the courts allowed payments. The extent to which schools now agree that its getting way out of control may dictate how much the NCAA is "allowed" to regulate. In the end I won't be surprised if there's federal regulation down the line. WHY? Well for example there's a story reported yesterday that a 4 star (not 5 star) QB recruit failed to enroll at the Univ of Fla because his $13mm deal could not be agreed to. $13mm. That kind of stuff playing out all over and these kids are 17-19yrs old. Lots of stories about kids having massive tax obligations, deals not being paid out properly, kids taking the money and transferring or not playing at all. Wild west doesn't even capture it. if it gets ugly enough - here come the Feds.
Spladle1989

Post by Spladle1989 » Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:32 pm

How many schools will employ 4 full-time coaches? Tougher decision when volunteer assistants no longer allowed.

And yes vote got tabled on scholarships but the NCAA wants it, so probably just a matter of time, across all sports no partial scholarships will have quite a ripple effect, again a gain for the state schools that are cheaper to go to and makes it very difficult on expensive private schools.....
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:38 pm

Spladle1989 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:40 pm Interesting no one comments on the post above concerning very possible decision on no more partial scholarships.....to me that is a huge change for a school like Lehigh with its large costs attached to attending.....seems like it would greatly reduce roster size and you damn better hit/get lucky with the health and ability of the wrestlers you chose to give your full rides to.....

The SEC Only has 9 men's sports. Most of them really only care about Football, Basketball, And some Baseball. Arkansas, Ten, Fla obviously cares about CC/T+F, maybe 1 or 2 others. Since the two primary sports only provide full scholarships, the only full scholarship suggestion would likely be quite acceptable to the SEC, and maybe the big 5-6-7-8-12-X. Certainly the B1G and the PAC X would not like it. So yes, it has been commented on.
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:52 pm

All full scholarship (head count sports) are Men's Basketball and Football(98 total), Women's Basketball, Gymnastics Tennis, Volleyball. (47 Total)

https://scholarshipstats.com/d1averages
Last edited by Richb-3 on Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FloridaGuy

Post by FloridaGuy » Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:53 pm

>>>>>>>>>>Freedom for college athletes ( or oboe players, etc) to sell their likeness was ruled favorably by the Supreme Court.

I don’t think it’s going to change any time soon.

One man’s slush fund is another man’s education fund or autograph/picture collection.

For instance, a charitable education fund to pay your favorite college football players to speak/coach/mentor young football players in pop Warner leagues has a nice ring to it.

Or, in a pure likeness situation, a commitment by some friends of a particular sport ( tennis, shot put, wrestling, etc) to pay money for a limited edition picture ( or film) receiving an NCAA medal or participating in a specific event.

Or a business paying an athlete to use their picture in the store window/showroom etc.

To use the old phrase: It’s a new dawn.
Spladle1989

Post by Spladle1989 » Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:04 pm

all the above, so true.....the bottle has been opened, genie ain't hopping back in.......at least not under the NCAA directive......

Anyone see the news about the new Lacrosse stadium opening at Ohio State this spring? 24 million dollar lacrosse only stadium....with heated turf.....with my son working in Columbus recently I spent a good amount of time on the campus, each sport literally has their own "stadium" or facility (including wrestling)......I'm a huge college sports fan but the spending is ludicrous/mind boggling at these big state schools.........sure all it takes is one alumni with deep pockets but it just seems ridiculous, especially as the cost to just attend these "state" schools continues to rise......the men's and women's play 8 home games a year......so a 24 million dollar stadium for 16 games a year.......