Looking toward the NCAAs

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
mookie

Re: Looking toward the NCAAs

Post by mookie » Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:38 am

165 is ridiculous.

Monday wins a Ramirez rematch comfortably.

FloridaGuy

Post by FloridaGuy » Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:42 am

>>>>>>>I don’t know Monday’s weight this past weekend———he could be 2-3 lbs light and kept the 157 option open.

Then again, sometimes a hard cut is a bridge too far for guys to wrestle their best——— Zach Esposito and Damian Hahn both excelled going up a weight.

Humphreys is in the mix at 157 with or without Monday——— he just needs to get 100% healthy and peak at the right time——-like Hatchett did to recover from a bad mid season injury and finish NCAA 2nd.

We’ll know more about both guys this coming weekend.
NothingMeaningful

Post by NothingMeaningful » Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:12 am

mookie wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:38 am 165 is ridiculous.

Monday wins a Ramirez rematch comfortably.
Why?
mookie

Post by mookie » Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:20 am

I watched the match. Ramirez mostly just stalled. Monday penetrated at will and had several TD's that the ref didn't call because Ramirez was hanging on to a toe.

Just one of those matches that won't repeat.
whiz wit

Post by whiz wit » Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:02 am

NothingMeaningful wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:30 am
whiz wit wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:02 am Which weight class - 157 or 165 - should be the stronger at the NCAAs?
You are kidding, right? 165 has *three* NCAA champions (O'Toole, Carr, and Griffith), a returning semi-finalist (Monday), and at least five other All-Americans. Not counting Ramirez, Facundo (PSU), and others.
157 has like 4-5 All-Americans.
No, I'm not kidding. As far as wrestling goes, I pretty much just follow LU wrestling and the U.S. in the big international wrestling competitions. For me, swimming and track and field are much more exciting sports.
NothingMeaningful

Post by NothingMeaningful » Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:20 pm

mookie wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:20 am I watched the match. Ramirez mostly just stalled. Monday penetrated at will and had several TD's that the ref didn't call because Ramirez was hanging on to a toe.

Just one of those matches that won't repeat.
Since this is the first time they wrestled each other, I'm pretty sure I watched the same match. And since I already did my swim workout, and am about to go practice the violin, and I'm retired, I re-watched the match just now. Summary, in chronological order:

(tl;dr: Monday had exactly one neutral attack that ended with a stalemate. One, and that was just before Ramirez got the winning TD)

TD Ramirez initiated
E Monday
weak attack Monday
weak attack Ramirez
weak attack Ramirez
strong attack Monday defended to neutral (no toe hanging)
weak attack Monday
weak attack Monday
strong attack Ramirez, TD completed after time expired (go-behind initiated by Ramirez)
2nd period
:12 ride Ramirez
E Monday
TD Monday
~:15 ride
locked hands, stall Monday
E Ramirez
strong attack Monday defended to neutral (no toe hanging)
strong re-attack Ramirez defended to neutral
3rd period
E Ramirez (optional start Monday)
strong attack Monday, defended to neutral (no toe hanging)
stall Ramirez
strong attack Monday, defended to neutral (no toe hanging)
strong re-attack Ramirez, defended to neutral
TD Monday, ~:10 ride
E Ramirez
weak attack Ramirez
weak re-attack Monday
strong attack Monday, stalemate
strong attack Ramirez, TD and 2NF

The reason I did the above (other than to enjoy a great match) was that when someone describes an event contrary to the facts, I like to give that person the opportunity to do some self-examination to see why they came to that incorrect conclusion. I see five strong attacks by Ramirez ("mostly just stalled"?). I see six strong attacks by Monday ("at will"?). I see one Monday attack stalemated ("several TDs that the ref didn't call"?).
NothingMeaningful

Post by NothingMeaningful » Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:25 pm

whiz wit wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:02 am
NothingMeaningful wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:30 am
whiz wit wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:02 am Which weight class - 157 or 165 - should be the stronger at the NCAAs?
You are kidding, right? 165 has *three* NCAA champions (O'Toole, Carr, and Griffith), a returning semi-finalist (Monday), and at least five other All-Americans. Not counting Ramirez, Facundo (PSU), and others.
157 has like 4-5 All-Americans.
No, I'm not kidding. As far as wrestling goes, I pretty much just follow LU wrestling and the U.S. in the big international wrestling competitions. For me, swimming and track and field are much more exciting sports.
My apologies for the incorrect assumption.

As one who did masters swim competition for a number of years, and sat through innumerable swim meets of my daughter's (including timing), and as one who ran track through college (HJ, TJ, and a decathlon), I can understand your position. Attending the 1984 Los Angeles Olympics was a highlight.

I would rather watch a college wrestling tournament than an entire swim meet (thirty heats of the 50 free? No thanks!). What you typically see on TV in T&F (all finals) is comparable to the NCAA wrestling finals. Both exciting.
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:54 pm

I take it you disagree with mookie.....because your blow by blow actually made my eyes gloss over.
NothingMeaningful

Post by NothingMeaningful » Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:15 pm

Oracle wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:54 pm I take it you disagree with mookie.....because your blow by blow actually made my eyes gloss over.
Do you know what "tl;dr" means?
whiz wit

Post by whiz wit » Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:03 pm

NM, yeah, I once went to my county's swim championships and there were quite a few heats for each event, no seeding, and final placements go by time. Beyond that, NJ isn't a particularly strong state for swimming so there were lots of slow swimmers. Never again! But it's hard to beat an important and competitive dual meet between top teams in a smallish facility with the fans chanting and yelling the whole time. Fortunately, I live in a town where for most years both the girls and boys teams are near or at the top.