Week-End Salvo: Special Early East Coast Edition

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
gimpeltf

Re: Week-End Salvo: Special Early East Coast Edition

Post by gimpeltf » Tue May 21, 2024 6:09 pm

Oracle wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 5:22 pm LUEngineer: Can you confirm Lehigh is now offering Stipends as your post suggests?

I think that's where the $3000 to every member of the Penn State team is alluding to, not $3000 in NIL money. That would make sense.

If Pat has access to give out NCAA stipends up to $6500, that's a significant upgrade.
We aren't in a Power 5

Mountain Hawk

Post by Mountain Hawk » Tue May 21, 2024 7:56 pm

All these mental gymnastics about how we’ll keep up financially with big state school power programs is not going to come close to solving the problem in the short or especially the long run.
Unless something changes at the federal level to regulate all these money handouts, LU will be swimming against a massive current that ultimately will cause us to fall farther and farther behind.
In the meantime we should count our blessings that we have Pat managing to pull in enough great talent to keep us relevant in the national conversation. Enjoy these teams in the coming years. The long term future is dark.
LUEngineer

Post by LUEngineer » Tue May 21, 2024 8:26 pm

I cannot officially confirm but believe some stipend latitude was provided but not $6500 a couple years ago.

Wrestling is different at Lehigh even if the wheels move slower. Wrestling is only sport allowing redshirting & that goes back a long time.
HFO

Post by HFO » Wed May 22, 2024 6:22 am

Apparently there was not a 7 figure or 6 figure deal available for Andrew Alirez, NCAA Champ and who is 17-3 at Men's Senior Freestyle thus far and US National Champion in 2023.

I have no reason to doubt the people I know from other programs. Ira Lubert might have signed a check to ensure that Carter came back, but there are few Ira Lubert's in the world of wrestling.

Again, the vast majority are not even getting 5 figures. Lehigh is in the ball game in transfers if it wants to be. All it has to do is reach out to these athletes and get them to apply and fill in Lehigh Graduate School application.
1/2NELSON

Post by 1/2NELSON » Wed May 22, 2024 10:31 am

Mountain Hawk wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 7:56 pm All these mental gymnastics about how we’ll keep up financially with big state school power programs is not going to come close to solving the problem in the short or especially the long run.
Unless something changes at the federal level to regulate all these money handouts, LU will be swimming against a massive current that ultimately will cause us to fall farther and farther behind.
In the meantime we should count our blessings that we have Pat managing to pull in enough great talent to keep us relevant in the national conversation. Enjoy these teams in the coming years. The long term future is dark.
Fair assesment by MH, especially the analogy of 'LU swimming against the current',.. which they are! :shock:

Also have to believe some sort of FEDERAL oversight/mandates will be forth-coming per "care-packages!"
Mountain Hawk

Post by Mountain Hawk » Wed May 22, 2024 2:26 pm

From what I gather this lawsuit brought by the UF QB who was offered 13.85mm and then reneged on by the school will be heard in federal court. He's on his 3rd school already and he's a redshirt freshman. Not sure where the country is politically to come up with something that makes sense and preserve some sense of integrity in college athletics while still allowing for players to get compensated and schools like Lehigh to still have a chance to compete. Based on my present amount of faith in government and the justice system, they'll probably come up with something even worse than we have now.
1/2NELSON

Post by 1/2NELSON » Wed May 22, 2024 2:43 pm

Mountain Hawk wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 2:26 pm From what I gather this lawsuit brought by the UF QB who was offered 13.85mm and then reneged on by the school will be heard in federal court. He's on his 3rd school already and he's a redshirt freshman. Not sure where the country is politically to come up with something that makes sense and preserve some sense of integrity in college athletics while still allowing for players to get compensated and schools like Lehigh to still have a chance to compete. Based on my present amount of faith in government and the justice system, they'll probably come up with something even worse than we have now.
I share your APATHY in regards to faith in DOJ, and government in general. :cry:

Similar to the on-going animosity in N.J. between the PRIVATE/PUBLIC sector over "un-even" PLAYING FIELD, the collegiate playing field is in need of a new survey! :roll:

Is the prevailing attitude at the NCAA one of doing what is BEST for intercollegiate athletics,
or is it DOG-EAT-DOG,..keep up or fall behind! :o